PDA

View Full Version : flickering graphics issue in 17.04

cillowjr
December 17th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I'm very new to ubuntu.
I'm wondering if this issue is related to my release/distribution, or something else:
the graphics are sometimes, stuttering, flickering.
for example
you know when you point the mouse to a tab on chrome it displays the name of the webpage, it can get a completely black box.
or when I drag and drop an icon, the background image also moves with the icon when I move it. So it's like a box. and the contents of the box that's the background, moves also.
similar graphics issues.
is it just me?

Autodave
December 18th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Sounds like a video card issue. What are the specs of the machine you are running? Does it have a dedicated graphics card in it? If so, what one? Did you install any drivers for the card? If so, what one and where did you get it from?

cillowjr
December 18th, 2017, 01:51 PM
oh no! I don't have a graphics card! Is this that demanding? I had an OSX with the intel iris I believe and it worked fine!?
I have a z170x ud3 motherboard, i5-6400 cpu and 8gb ram, and run on ssd's.
do I still need a graphics card! oh man.
I had a new issue today, which is that after the os goes to sleep or the screensaver, it runs slow. especially the mouse. when I hover the mouse around, the videos get stuck, the mouse doesn't flow smoothly, but "jumps", etc.

-thanks for the reply btw.

cillowjr
December 18th, 2017, 02:03 PM
and now the issue I mentioned last, disappeared. weird.

Autodave
December 18th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Have you checked in "Additional drivers" to see if a graphics driver is found that may work better than the default one? Even though you don't have a graphics card, your onboard graphics may work better with another driver.