PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE Go Back to windows?

tryme66
December 16th, 2017, 05:38 AM
So yeah guys, I downloaded Ubuntu since 3 days, erase all my Windows 10 to have some change, so I know the basic stuff on computer nothing with Linux & I keep having troubles USB Key not reading, apps not launching, Busybox at the start some error message, I lost all the data I've made these days, trying to backup for not losing again my data & failed, etc, Prolly cause i'm a noob. So my question is am I better to return with windows & learn with Virtualbox ( but all know I'm not gonna be all the time on this ) or learn the hard way? What is the best to learn good & quickly

It's new for me I really like for now if we forget all the troubles, it's maybe because of all the apps I download & the update of the OS, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I'm french that's why my english is not really good my bad.

DuckHook
December 16th, 2017, 06:21 AM
How on earth can we answer this for you?

Consider: we would have to know what drove you away from Windows, what your tolerance is for risk, frustration, obscurity and learning, what is actually causing you problems (simple or complex), what your level of knowledge is, and not least, your motives for wanting to learn Ubuntu. Only you can decide which way is best for you.

I will add that if you want to experiment in Ubuntu, then the best way is to make a pristine install of Ubuntu and then don't touch that one any further. Instead, install a VM like VirtualBox or KVM, then install another instance of one of the lighter 'buntus in the VM, and do all of your experimenting on that. Take a snapshot of the VM before you do anything to it and roll back to the snapshot if anything goes wrong.

BTW, your English is fine. My admiration for posting on a site that is not in your native tongue.

PS

Since this is not really a technical support question, thread moved to The Cafe as the more appropriate forum.

mastablasta
December 18th, 2017, 09:02 AM
i would read a book first. can be a basic PDF manual or similar. then move on to virtual machine. once i am confident i know what i am doing i would move to install phase. although if i had plenty of time i would just install it.

anontrust
December 19th, 2017, 11:26 AM
i had no problems switching to linux, i suggest you to try different distros and desktop enviroment with virtualbox so you can find your way

ian-weisser
December 19th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Intermediate and advanced Windows users often have a difficult time, because they have so much more to unlearn.
Patience during the first two weeks is most important.

Don't try do to force Ubuntu to do things the Windows way. Down that path lies frustration.
Learn how to do things the Ubuntu way. A true expert can do both.

Patience: Solve one problem at a time. Learn it, understand it. Then move on to the next problem.
Like any set of learned skills, you are starting at the beginning. We all did, too.

forrestcupp
December 20th, 2017, 03:24 AM
i had no problems switching to linux, i suggest you to try different distros and desktop enviroment with virtualbox so you can find your way

It all depends on your hardware. If you have compatible hardware, it's a breeze, and Linux is amazing. If you have any hardware that isn't compatible, it's a major headache, and it makes you want to beat your brains out. ;)

ChuangTzu
December 20th, 2017, 08:33 PM
agreed with other responses, only you can decide. For some switching to Linux is difficult for others its easy...Ubuntu does help make it a bit easier then some distros, however, with patience, willingness to learn and read it is a task that can be accomplished. I never dual booted, I started with DOS, then Windows then Linux.

ant2ne
January 5th, 2018, 07:42 PM
you are not going to learn linux by switch back to windows. tackle your problems and solve them. Most likely the desktop interface is just confusing you. You didn't loose files, you just saved them to an unfamiliar location, etc.

oldos2er
January 5th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Since tryme66 hasn't returned to the forums since creating this thread, I feel it's run its course. Closed.