PDA

View Full Version : Re-installation while preserving files?

sterator
December 15th, 2017, 04:37 AM
It's my understanding that one can do a clean install of Ubuntu in such a way that doesn't overwrite data files...Can anyone offer suggestions for making this go properly?

I have an install of 17.04 which has some kind of issue I can't resolve. One solution seems to be to re-install over the top, but I don't want to lose data files. If I lose preferences, so be it.

Thank you for any tips!

oldfred
December 15th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Always, Always have good backups.

But you can do a "dirty" install. Only files that are part of distribution including all the default system wide settings in /etc will be overwritten. So if you manually changed settings like grub, NFS, fstab or others, they will be overwritten. I normally copy any /etc system file I manually edit into /home so my normal backup of /home includes those files without having to backup all of /etc.
Best to use same userID and password.

Over install without formatting to reuse same home data. "Dirty Install"
System settings or anything in / may be overwritten with defaults. Good backups still important
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuReinstallation
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1941872

sterator
December 15th, 2017, 04:50 AM
OK.. I do have a backup on another drive. I would back up the main drive but I can't get in..some kind of booting problem I don't know how to fix.

will this "dirty install" put ubuntu back the way it was originally? or close to it?

will it properly install it? I can use same user/password

thank you

sterator
December 15th, 2017, 05:03 AM
or should I simply do a fresh "new" install as though the first time?

if so, can I set up the drive to protect me from system fails?

leunam12
December 15th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Better to rsync /home to another drive, re-install from scratch and rsync /home back to Ubuntu drive
sudo rsync -aAXPv /home /path/to/backup/device then, after re-installation (keep same user name and password)
sudo rsync -aAXPv /path/to/backup/device/home/ /home/

ian-weisser
December 15th, 2017, 02:47 PM
You should probably explain this "booting problem".
Maybe a reinstall will fix it, maybe not.

oldfred
December 15th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Reinstall and restore from backup is normally the last resort after trying to resolve issues.
Sometimes just reinstalling grub2's boot loader or full uninstall/reinstall of boot loader.
But it also can be hardware issues, which should be investigated before just reinstalling. Log files may give info, if drive can be mounted.

sterator
December 15th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Better to rsync /home to another drive, re-install from scratch and rsync /home back to Ubuntu drive
sudo rsync -aAXPv /home /path/to/backup/device then, after re-installation (keep same user name and password)
sudo rsync -aAXPv /path/to/backup/device/home/ /home/

Are you saying that, to get my rsync-backed up documents back into my Documents folder on the boot volume, that I need to rsync them back over, rather than dragging them?

I did re-install Ubunt 17.04 last night, then installed the little updaters, then allowed the 17.10 upgrade to happen.

I installed the handful of mission-critical applications that I need and I have essentially a pristine installation of 17.10, sans files.