PDA

View Full Version : Font Managers for Linux

pointy2
December 15th, 2017, 03:09 AM
The forum is great for tweaking and troubleshooting a system and many applications and extensions, however, I don't see much on font management and graphic design.
Can anyone recommend a safe (possibly 3rd party) font manager for Artful 17.10? It doesn't have to be open source, but should be secure and without spyware.

As a designer, I have several K of fonts, mostly TTF and OTF. I utilize Inkscape and Gimp, have migrated from Adobe AI and PS on windows.

nahuel-orsini
December 15th, 2017, 04:34 AM
I do not know how it would be, I'm new to this but recently installed a font manager, it's called "Font Manager" from the store itself, version 0.5.7-4
:wink:

---

No se como seria, soy nuevo en esto pero instale hace poco uno administrador de fuentes, se llama "Font Manager" desde la propia tienda, versión 0.5.7-4

vasa1
December 15th, 2017, 05:33 AM
Why not use the command-line?

If you try to purge some font, you'll see if any program depends on it. I don't know if a font manager would inform you. I hope it does.

When you write that "I don't see much on font management", how exactly have you tried looking?

The package mentioned by the poster above has this description:

Download-Size: 291 kB
APT-Sources: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
Description: font management application for the GNOME desktop
Font Manager is intended to provide a way for average users to easily manage
desktop fonts, without having to resort to command line tools or editing
configuration files by hand. While designed primarily with the GNOME Desktop
Environment in mind, it should work well with other Gtk+ desktop environments.

pointy2
December 16th, 2017, 03:27 AM
I've looked at "Font Manager" as well as Font Matrix. Both of them seem to be lacking many of the commands and features of the Win based Font Managers. I'm leaning toward Font Base, however, the closed source third party download is why I'm hesitant. With several K of designer fonts in my catalog, I'll need one with the ability to categorize them for efficient selection in temporary font installs.

I'm not sure if either of the three mentioned managers allow for temp installs and removal of some of the pre packaged fonts that come with the official download of Ubuntu. How many fonts can the system manage before it crashes or slows to a crawl?