PDA

View Full Version : Which current laptops have a CapsLock light

pwabrahams
December 14th, 2017, 10:57 PM
Which current laptops have a CapsLock light? It used to be that they all did, but most manufacturers seem to have decided that it's dispensable. Software indicators just don't do the job. It's particularly frustrating that the manufacturers' descriptions of their hardware don't tell you whether they have a CapsLock light.

corstar
December 23rd, 2017, 05:44 AM
One of my laptops is a Dell 5420, has a back-lit keyboard. When the caps lock is pressed, a small dot is illuminated.

The keyboard on this laptop is one of the best I've used, even better than thinkpads

Try using the indicator-keylock, that will work nicely too.

pwabrahams
December 24th, 2017, 09:24 AM
I looked up the Dell 5420, and it's a pretty old machine with limited memory and, I'd expect, sluggish performance. That fits with my observation that manufacturers have been removing the CapsLock light. To save a few bucks, I expect. I wish I could find an up-to-date laptop with that light -- and a disk activity light would also be nice. Those lights used to be standard. The software indicators are really inadequate and OS-dependent.

monkeybrain20122
December 24th, 2017, 12:09 PM
The toshiba satellite z930 laptop still has a cap lock light. it is fast and perfect with Ubuntu 16.04, everything just works and quite up to date and reasonably powerful (intel core i5 @1.70GHZx4, ivybridge mobile graphic and 6G of ram) It is an ultra book and extremely light and portable.

The only problem is that it has this peculiar security screw at the center of its bottom. It is a very small screw with a hole in the middle and at the middle of the hole is a spike. If you need to open it for some reasons (adding ram, changing hard drive etc) you are in trouble. I have been to several computer repair places and no one has the screw driver. The hardware store told me they are just out of stock but I have the feeling that you may have to buy a whole set and it is not cheap.

pwabrahams
December 24th, 2017, 04:20 PM
I wonder whether there are any similar Toshibas without that impossible screw. An example of screwed-up design. I wonder what they were thinking when they designed that screw. It certainly discourages me from buying that machine. Thanks for the warning. That's the kind of thing one doesn't notice until it suddenly becomes critical.

It's difficult to find out whether a particular laptop has the CapsLock light. It' s typically not mentioned in the list of features. I'm a reasonable typist, but I often hit the CapsLock key by mistake and don't realize it.

Even the Toshiba 930 is six years old, it seems.

galacticstone
January 10th, 2018, 10:07 PM
My Lenovo Ideapad 14 (model 81CW) has one.