PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] unable to download printer drive for Epson XP-640

davidhopton
December 12th, 2017, 08:48 PM
I use Ubuntu 16.01 and have trouble downloading from Epsom download centre. Centre requests you first download current version of lsb 3.2 which I have done with no success. This is a somewhat usual problem in the forum. I note one solution that I would like to try but the instructions end with "deb" (quotes not included). My understanding this stands for Debain which is another free-source system (linux?) My QUESTION is is it safe for me to try? ----I am only semi literate with computers, I have also looked at other free-source sites but the XP-640 is not listed.

DuckHook
December 13th, 2017, 04:11 AM
Ubuntu is based on Debian. Most of Ubuntu's native packages end with .deb.

This does not mean that every .deb is "safe". Apart from the usual warnings about unknown downloads from unsafe sites, there is also the question of compatibility: a newer package from outside the repositories will sometimes break the intricately linked dependencies of your OS.

However, in this case, I would think it is safe to try. lsb stand for (L)inux (S)tandard (B)ase, and is a set of core functions that third-party developers can use to build apps/drivers on. lsb is available in the repos, but that version is probably too old to run your driver, hence, Epson's requirement to download lsb 3.2. A standard package available in the repos coupled with Epsom being a reputable company probably means that the download won't have malware lurking inside. Moreover, one hopes that it has been tested and is "safe to run" in that respect too. The usual caveats apply: make backups before doing anything to your system.

davidhopton
December 13th, 2017, 03:20 PM
DH- thank you for your reply. I tried it and I still cannot download the driver. The Linux
Foundation has a long list of Epson drivers ( for downloading) but not for the XP-640
Previously, I did not express myself correctly. I did download lsb3.2 successfully but was unable to to successfully download any of the 5 drivers Epson recommended. I am at a total loss --lI have checked many other threads and atried many of the recommendations with no success

ian-weisser
December 13th, 2017, 04:14 PM
You should not have needed to download lsb 3.2
ALL currently-supported releases of Ubuntu already exceed 3.2 by quite a bit. 3.2 is *very* old.

All you should need to do is:
1) Download the printer driver deb file from the Epson website to your Desktop

2) Open a Terminal

3) Install lsb (newer than 3.2)
At the terminal prompt '$' do:

sudo apt install lsb
The system will prompt you for a password. THE SCREEN WILL NOT SHOW that you are typing your password. This is normal. Keep typing your password.
There should be a few cryptic lines, then a return to a '$' prompt.

READ those cryptic lines. Look for the words 'error' or 'warning'. If there are any errors or warning, stop. Return here, and copy-and-paste the complete output into your reply. Not just one or two lines, but the whole thing from $ (start) to $ (finish).

4) Install the Epson Print Driver deb that you saved to the desktop

sudo apt install ~/Desktop/<exact_name_of_the_file>.deb

Again, look for errors or warnings.

5) Test your printer.

davidhopton
December 13th, 2017, 05:59 PM
per your instructions, I did items 1),2)& 3 and received no error warnings, etc. I then went to 4) and received following "missing destination file oper and after" the exact name of the file. I am certain that I used the exact name of he file.
I hope this is clear enough and I really appreciate your having taken the time to help me. thank you

DuckHook
December 13th, 2017, 06:56 PM
…I tried it and I still cannot download the driver…

…per your instructions, I did items 1),2)& 3 and received no error warnings, etc…

…Previously, I did not express myself correctly. I did download lsb3.2 successfully but was unable to to successfully download any of the 5 drivers Epson recommended…
:confused:
I am confused. So you can download the driver but you cannot install it? If you can't download, how did you carry out step 1? Is your browser refusing to download from Epson's site?

I would suggest that from now on, rather than simply describing what you think is the problem, that you post the actual input and output within
and tags the way Ian and I do. That way, we will see the actual error messages that constitute the really useful info to us.

Therefore, try #4 from Ian's instructions again, but post the verbatim command you are using and the actual verbatim error message. You can use your mouse to highlight the code and right click to copy and paste.

The Linux Foundation has a long list of Epson drivers ( for downloading) but not for the XP-640
The Linux Foundation's list of compatible drivers is not up-to-date, especially for newer models. How can it be? New printer models are released practically every day. The important info is from the Epson site. They would have Linux drivers (or not) and installation instructions for each new model that they make. Visiting the Epson site yields the following:

The following are your downloads: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule

Was this the site you tried downloading from? If not, then download these drivers and try installing again.

ian-weisser
December 14th, 2017, 02:14 AM
I then went to 4) and received following "missing destination file oper and after" the exact name of the file. I am certain that I used the exact name of he file.

Copy and paste the terminal session here, showing exactly what you input, and exactly what the system output.
It's usually something trivial, like you used the wrong case or the wrong destination or mistook a letter for a number (0/O/o, 1/l) or missed a dash or a period somewhere.

davidhopton
December 14th, 2017, 03:51 PM
I copied it from the terminal and could not paste it in my quick reply so I copied it to a document in my computer. For some reason, when I try and copy and paste from my computer to this message it will not take. I appreciate your suggestion that I made an incorrect entry somewhere --Idon't think did but I will re-enter and then advise you of the results.
In response to the previous reply "I am confused" when I download the epson driver, it appears under my downloads but it will not open. I will report back OBVIOUSLY I was wrong about copy and paste

davidhopton
December 14th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Just retried-- here is the message

david@david-Inspiron-560:~$ sudo apt install-/desktop/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb_i386.deb
[sudo] password for david:
E: Invalid operation install-/desktop/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb_i386.deb
david@david-Inspiron-560:~$

ian-weisser
December 14th, 2017, 04:55 PM
You made THREE typos. Read the command very carefully and try again.
Pay careful attention to spaces, dash-vs-tilde (-/~), and typeCASE (lower vs upper)

Hint: 'desktop' is a different location than 'Desktop'. Case matters.

davidhopton
December 14th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I believe I did it correctly

david@david-Inspiron-560:~$ sudo apt install ~/Desktop/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_i386.deb
Reading package lists... Done
E: Unsupported file /home/david/Desktop/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_i386.deb given on commandline
david@david-Inspiron-560:~$

davidhopton
December 14th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Another try

avid@david-Inspiron-560:~$ sudo apt install~/Desktop/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_i386dep
E: Invalid operation install~/Desktop/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_i386dep
david@david-Inspiron-560:

oldos2er
December 14th, 2017, 10:17 PM
You're missing a space between "sudo apt install" and "~/Desktop/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_i386dep"

And it's "deb," not "dep." Tab completion is your friend.

DuckHook
December 14th, 2017, 10:39 PM
You are likely running a 64-bit Ubuntu OS. However, you have downloaded the 32-bit driver. This, combined with the typos, is likely what's tripping you up.

The following is the download page for scanner: http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php?version=1.3.23

You must pick the one that says: "Ubuntu 16.04(LTS)"→"64bit(amd64)"

For printer: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02/DriverDownloadInfo.do?LG2=EN&CN2=&DSCMI=66609&DSCCHK=acc94f2a6fa073d24f9cdad2fb125f28ce00eb97

Pick the one that says: "epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.17-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb"

For printer utility: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02/DriverDownloadInfo.do?LG2=EN&CN2=&DSCMI=67510&DSCCHK=91eb5ed19b89a820f2b2f68849ea90e4a8a5b670

Pick the one that says: "epson-printer-utility_1.0.2-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb"

Ignore the "amd" part in these drivers. They don't mean they are only for AMD CPUs; they apply to Intel CPUs as well. What they really mean is 64-bit. This is an old (and silly) Linux convention that trips a lot of new users up and you can't blame yourself for downloading the wrong drivers.

To avoid further typos, best to copy and paste these above lines into your terminal. Don't copy the quote marks ("), though they shouldn't do any harm either. Then, before pressing the enter key, check carefully to make sure that all spelling, capitalizations and typing are accurate.

I know it's frustrating to butt heads up against simultaneously arcane and persnickety Linux commands, but you only have to get it right once.

davidhopton
December 15th, 2017, 05:26 PM
Well, I finally got the printer to work. I really appreciate the patience and time extended by all.

DuckHook
December 15th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Good to know that you're up and running.

If you consider this matter resolved, please mark thread "solved" using thread tools at the top of this thread, so that others can benefit from your solution.

As a postscript, it was only possible for me to effectively help once you posted actual inputs and outputs. Prior to that, we were just spinning our wheels. In future, when requesting help, it is less frustrating and more efficient to all if you post that info from the outset.

Good Luck and Happy Ubuntu-ing!

Darth4212
December 15th, 2017, 07:05 PM
I went through the official Epson site and came to this websitehttp://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/searchModule where you can search for drivers I was able to find 3 drivers for the Epson XP-640 printer