PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Change GTK themes for root application & Standard greeter

Perfect Storm
April 4th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Are you tired of that your root applications doesn't match your desktop theme?

Here's the answer, this show with the D3a GTK2 theme. Just change D3a with your favorite GTK theme:

cd /home/orion/.themes
sudo cp -r d3a /usr/share/themes
sudo gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Now I changed under [gui]

GtkTheme=d3a
GtkThemesToAllow=d3a

Check the attached snapshot of Package Manager, it's now with D3a theme instead of human theme.
This will also change the Standard greeter GTK theme.

PinGzor
April 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks! Needed this fix

j_baer
April 4th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Artificial Intelligence,

Thanks for the tip, worked great.

j baer

Perfect Storm
April 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Glad to be a help ^_^

Buffalo Soldier
April 10th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Something I've been looking for quite some time. Thanks :)

Yukonjack
April 10th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks a bunch Artificial Intelligence!
Good stuff

Quest-Master
April 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I've been looking for this one too. Nice job. :D

donar73
April 21st, 2005, 03:45 PM
:) :) :)

I've been looking for this for weeks! Thx alot!

Perfect Storm
April 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
No problem. :)

If I'm not mistaken (I havn't tried it yet) if you add in 'GtkThemesToAllow=d3a' with other themes like this: 'GtkThemesToAllow=d3a, human, etc., etc.' then you can choose which themes to use in the Standard Greeter or replace d3a with 'all' then you can choose all the gtk themes. Though you have to install them as shown in the first post. These themes can only be changed when you're Standard greeter log in screen, there's a tab called 'themes'.

.:=The AI Dude=:.

Chayyiel
April 25th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Awesome! I'll give this a shot.

globalspace
April 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM
wonderfull !
now my Desktop is really beatyfull :razz:

Chayyiel
April 26th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Works wonderful! Thank you!

XplOzIOn
April 26th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Hey thats cool!

Perfect Storm
May 10th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words, guys ^_^

abbot
May 21st, 2005, 12:19 AM
Actually, you dont even have to change the first line from "GtkTheme=Human"

and like you said before, just change the other line to read "GtkThemesToAllow=all"
Then copy whatever theme you are using from ~/.themes to /usr/share/themes
you could really just copy them all over there if you wanted, then whenever you switch around themes the root will switch too, at the same time even. You dont have to switch it in the standard greeter screen.

Poul
May 21st, 2005, 08:18 AM
Hmm i don't know why but it doesn't work for me. I made my own theme by connecting icons and window borders from GnoMetal theme and cdntrols from GlossyP theme (both downloaded from art.gnome.org) Aftherwards some aplications (synaptic , my custom nautilus-root-here script, sudo gedit) strarted looking really ugly. I hoped that it will fix it but it didn't .
Any ideas?

Edit: I worked it out. Since my custom theme has been using 2 themes i just copied them as well.
And copied icons (gnometal) to /usr/share/icons

Btw Sweet O:)

angrykeyboarder
May 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM
As far as root applications sharing my themes go, I simply symlink my ~/.themes and ~/.icons directories to /root/.themes and /root/.icons, respectively.

m87
June 2nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
good, but if you break into X when "root"... I remember I changed a theme once, and since then, synaptic and every other suid app follows the theming [i don't know if with that solution works, mine is more brutal hahaha]

abbot
June 18th, 2005, 12:20 AM
As far as root applications sharing my themes go, I simply symlink my ~/.themes and ~/.icons directories to /root/.themes and /root/.icons, respectively.
haha. well then. thats so simple and it works perfectly. you dont even have to edit any .conf files. just make the links in the /root directory and you're good.

tabasko
June 27th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks!

-DarkMind-
July 10th, 2005, 08:55 AM
hello

i use kubuntu (i have kde only) and i use synaptic (kynaptic sucks)

i installed gtk2-engines-gtk-qt with this gtk2 applications looks good (like the kde theme actually used)

all applications look godd, but if execute "kdesu synaptic" , synaptic looks horrible :???:

but if i execute synactic from the console with "sudo synaptic" looks good :???:

how i fix this?

thanks and sorry for my english, i speak spanish only :)

-DarkMind-
July 10th, 2005, 09:03 AM
hello

i use kubuntu (i have kde only) and i use synaptic (kynaptic sucks)

i installed gtk2-engines-gtk-qt with this gtk2 applications looks good (like the kde theme actually used)

all applications look good, but if execute "kdesu synaptic" , synaptic looks horrible :???:

but if i execute synactic from the console with "sudo synaptic" looks good :???:

how i fix this?

thanks and sorry for my english, i speak spanish only :)

jajajajja, a friend help me... for another with the same problem...

copy the files:

/home/youruser/.qt/qt_plugins_3.3rc
/home/youruser/.qt/qtrc

to /root/.qt/

:D

AndyAWS
August 1st, 2005, 04:33 AM
For some reason this doesn't work at all for me. Not only are all apps run as root theme-less...I also have no icons if I run Nautilus as root.

Perfect Storm
August 1st, 2005, 05:03 AM
You sure you typed in the right theme you want to use?

AndyAWS
August 1st, 2005, 01:01 PM
Yes...Human.

I just want root to use the default Ubuntu theme. Instead everything is gray and plain, always has been.

The icons were working until I changed the icons that I use for my normal user, then all of the icons for root changed to the blank paper looking icon. I remember fixing that once before but I don't remember how i did it.

Also, if I actually log-in as root everything looks fine.

AndyAWS
August 1st, 2005, 02:17 PM
Do I have to be using the Standard Greeter for this to work? I currently use a graphical greeter I downloaded from gnome-look.org.

LaSSarD
August 2nd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Are you tired of that your root applications doesn't match your desktop theme?

Here's the answer, this show with the D3a GTK2 theme. Just change D3a with your favorite GTK theme:

cd /home/orion/.themes
sudo cp -r d3a /usr/share/themes
sudo gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Now I changed under [gui]

GtkTheme=d3a
GtkThemesToAllow=d3a

Check the attached snapshot of Package Manager, it's now with D3a theme instead of human theme.
This will also change the Standard greeter GTK theme.
I was wondering how to do this since I noticed that running apps as root makes them use a old GTK theme... Then you came up with this great tut! Thx a lot man ;D

AndyAWS
August 2nd, 2005, 03:47 AM
Ok, I got my icons back by symlinking my ~/.icons to /root/.icons.

I also had the root apps themed by symlinking .themes but that made root apps the same as normal apps which isn't what I wanted, so I'll settle for root apps being unthemed.

I've tried everything I can think of to give the root apps a different theme from my normal theme.

bjesus
August 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM
I´m having the exact same problem as AndyAWS - The root theme won´t change until I create a symlink and then it´s just the same as my user´s.

AndyAWS: Are you using Hoary or Breezy? I´m using Breezy and have thought that maybe that the source to our problems.

Perfect Storm
August 3rd, 2005, 09:32 AM
Hmmm...I'm not sure why it won't for you two. Are you superuser(sudo) or split ubuntu into root and user(su)?

AndyAWS
August 3rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
AndyAWS: Are you using Hoary or Breezy? I´m using Breezy and have thought that maybe that the source to our problems.

I'm running Hoary.

@AI: I'm not sure what you mean. I use sudo for all root tasks, but the root user does exist, I have logged in as root once and the root user was using the default Human theme.

lynng
August 4th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the tip. I orginally tried to make the symlinks from inside my home dir like so:

~$ sudo ln -s .themes /root/.themes
~$ sudo ln -s .icons /root/.icons but the links were broken. I had to do:

~$ cd /root
/root$ sudo ln -s /home/username/.themes .themes
/root$ sudo ln -s /home/username/.icons .icons to make it work. This is probably something about symlinking that I haven't picked up on yet, but thought I'd post in case anyone else thought it didn't work perhaps for the same reason.

Perfect Storm
August 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM
I'm just trying to figure out if there was something similar with you two ubuntu that might explain the problem.

Can I get both of you to try to download the d3a theme and follow the howto strictly and see if it works? It might be a problem with the human theme because there's already a human theme configuration in /usr/share/themes folder which could mess up your stuff.

AndyAWS
August 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks AI I should have thought of that ](*,) ....I'll give it a try tonight and let you know.

AndyAWS
August 4th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Didn't work...I tried switching to the Standard Greeter instaed of the graphical one, and the greeter was in the d3a theme. Also d3a was listed in the greeter theme menu.
But sudo apps are still not themed...is there a conf file somewhere for sudo?

Penguin Guy
April 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Where can I find the d3a theme and icons? I looked all over the internet and found nothing.

Perfect Storm
April 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
It does not exist anymore, nor do I have them anymore.

Penguin Guy
April 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Awww, it looked so cool as well! And sorry for accidently breaking the necromancy rule.