PDA

View Full Version : gcc install fails on Ubuntu 14.04: broken packages

databaseman77
December 5th, 2017, 11:05 PM
I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 as verified by "lsb_release -a"
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

And I would like to install gcc but the install fails with warnings about broken packages:
DZ> sudo -i
R> apt-get update
no errors
Reading package lists... Done

R> apt-get install gcc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gcc : Depends: cpp (>= 4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gcc-4.8 (>= 4.8.2-5~) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be installed or
libc-dev
libgcc1 : Depends: gcc-4.9-base (= 4.9.3-0ubuntu4) but it is not going to be installed
libstdc++6 : Depends: gcc-4.8-base (= 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I found an online recommendation to edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and remove the sections referring to
two gcc package versions, but that had no effect.

What is the most efficient method to fix this issue?

Kirk Schnable
December 6th, 2017, 10:01 AM
Not to preach the obvious here, but it says to run "apt-get -f install" in the error output. I have had this fix things for me before. Have you tried it? What happens when you run that?

databaseman77
December 8th, 2017, 05:09 PM
The reason I was reluctant to run "apt-get -f install" was because it gave me an alarming prompt and told me to type "Yes, do as I say!" It's only a development machine so I gave it a go. Today, the machine won't even boot I guess because it doesn't have much of a kernel. One of the system administrators is going to reimage the box. I guess that's one way to fix an install problem! ;-) Apparently the computer had some severe install and dependency problems. They should be fixed now. Kind of funny actually.