PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Enhanced photo screensaver for Ubuntu 17.10 with file/folder name overlay?

ianmanning
December 5th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I'm using xscreensaver to display random photos from my collection. While it's OK, I'd really like to see the file or folder name along with the photo, to remind me of where/when it was taken. Does anyone know of a package which can do this?

Holger_Gehrke
December 5th, 2017, 05:37 PM
There are three screenhacks for xscreensaver I know of that have the ability to optionally show the file name of the image(s) they are showing. They are carousel, glslideshow and photopile. glslideshow is part of the package xscreensaver-gl, the other two are in xscreensaver-gl-extra.

Holger

ianmanning
December 5th, 2017, 06:14 PM
There are three screenhacks for xscreensaver I know of that have the ability to optionally show the file name of the image(s) they are showing. They are carousel, glslideshow and photopile. glslideshow is part of the package xscreensaver-gl, the other two are in xscreensaver-gl-extra.

Holger

Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for. Any idea why xscreensaver zooms into the same image 5 times before it moves onto the next photo?

ajgreeny
December 5th, 2017, 07:11 PM
I use xscreensaver with glslideshow as my chosen option and do not see the "zoom into the image 5 times" as you are seeing.
Here is a screenshot of the detailed settings I use which you get to from the Settings button bottom right of the main xscreensaver window.

Try the same settings as I show for the zoom and pan to see if that helps. It will also depend, of course, on the time interval of each image change; in my case 10 seconds.

I use this just to see all my thousands of photos which would otherwise go unviewed for years in some cases; occasionally it is fantastic to see something that I had almost totally forgotten.

ianmanning
December 5th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I use xscreensaver with glslideshow as my chosen option and do not see the "zoom into the image 5 times" as you are seeing.
Here is a screenshot of the detailed settings I use which you get to from the Settings button bottom right of the main xscreensaver window.

Try the same settings as I show for the zoom and pan to see if that helps. It will also depend, of course, on the time interval of each image change; in my case 10 seconds.

I use this just to see all my thousands of photos which would otherwise go unviewed for years in some cases; occasionally it is fantastic to see something that I had almost totally forgotten.

Many thanks for that - I have no idea how/why, but it's done the trick!

ajgreeny
December 5th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Great news!
Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction. It is a great help to users searching the forum.