PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customize top bar in 17.10?

etmegabyte
December 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM
Hello,

I am a returning user to Ubuntu. I used it years ago, but due to work, I switched to 'doze. Well, now I'm back, and there are many things that I used to remember that simply don't seem to be there anymore...

For instance, I used to be able to put graphs for things like CPU usage, Network usage, RAM Usage, etc up in the bar at the top right corner (where the power/network/sound icons are).

I also used to be able to put 'applets' on my desktop. Things like showing current weather, system information, etc. I can't seem to find those anymore either.

And, one thing that I loved was compiz-fusion, which just looked cool... I did note one package which I haven't tried yet called wobbly windows that seems to do some of what compiz-fusion did, but nowhere near as comprehensive. Did it just die or am I missing it?

There are other things as well, but this is plenty to get started with. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

-ET

again?
December 2nd, 2017, 03:06 AM
Ubuntu, in 17.10 has moved to using gnome-shell as the graphical environment as opposed to Unity.
Unity is a plugin for the compiz window manager.
gnome-shell is a plugin for the mutter window manager.
If you replace mutter with compiz in the Ubuntu 17.10 session, you loose gnome-shell (panel, application overview etc) and are left with a blank desktop.

You can still install and use compiz in other desktop sessions.
In the default Ubuntu 17.10 desktop you can install gnome-shell extensions to customize and add items the panel.
install-gnome-extensions-ubuntu-17-10 (http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017/10/install-gnome-extensions-ubuntu-17-10/)