PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mouse or Trackball Scaling with 4K Monitor or TV

mark bower
November 30th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Ubuntu 16.04LTS, Logitech Trackman Vista T-CG10, Samsung 4k 40" TV as monitor

The thread title should be: "Mouse or Trackball movement scaling with 4K Monitor or TV." Is there a way within Ubuntu to change the mouse movement scaling? That is, for a given amount of ball movement, the amount of cursor movement can be adjusted. To be clear, I am not talking re mouse speed which is set in System Settings>Mouse and Touchpad.

On a 1280 x 1024 pixel screen, slowly rolling the ball in the X direction from one extreme X to the other, it takes about 2-1/3 “rolls” to get the cursor to move across the extremes of the screen. On a 3840 x 2160 pixel screen (4K), slowly rolling the ball in the X direction from one extreme to the other, it takes about 6-1/4 “rolls” to get the cursor to move across the extremes of the screen.

The ratio, 1/2.3 of cursor movement to ball movement on the smaller pixel screen is about optimal. However, the lower ratio, 1/6.3 experienced on the 4K screen is annoying and diminishes the beauty of the 4K environment. Making changes to mouse speed with the 4K screen sort of helps, but really is woefully inadequate. A web search surprisingly does not produce suggestions regarding this 4K issue. The link below suggests the use of xset, but it does not appear to allow for adjusting scaling.
http://www.pontikis.net/blog/fix-mouse-sensitivity-ubuntu

mark bower
December 3rd, 2017, 11:18 PM
geez. I thot mouse 4k issues would be a common problem given the rapid increase use of 4K monitors? Thinking maybe I should consider moving this post to hardware?

mark bower
December 28th, 2017, 04:32 AM
bumped to increased notice.

vasa1
December 28th, 2017, 04:42 AM
Please do not open more than one thread on the same issue. Thanks.

mark bower
January 12th, 2018, 03:24 AM
3rd bump - hoping for way to increase mouse travel vs trackball travel - again, not acceleration

mark bower
February 6th, 2018, 02:30 AM
well - - -, bumping again to bring attention