PDA

View Full Version : 16.04 make file executable

eightbits2010
November 29th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Using 16.04 and programming with Python. When I copy a working Python script to a USB Thumb drive and click on the file properties and select make executable, the check mark for
selecting that choice reverts (instantly) back to an unchecked selection.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Does this have anything to do with formating the USB ?
Hoping to get some input.

oldos2er
November 29th, 2017, 08:25 PM
What file system is on the USB? If it's fat 32 or some other Microsoft fs, it won't support Linux file permissions.

eightbits2010
November 30th, 2017, 03:10 AM
I will dig into that. But I did notice that I can't change other permissions as well. This is when I use the GUI file properties I am unable
to change the group settings and the same for the others and the Execute check box as well. I added an attachment to show the settings
for the properties -> permissions. I will check for the file type. The attached screen capture shows the status if I click on any of the three mentioned
status's, all in the Access drop down menus as shown.
I will go back and take a look at the format status and then follow uo.

eightbits2010
November 30th, 2017, 03:28 AM
I got the drive format info and will include it is this post.

spjackson
December 1st, 2017, 10:48 AM
"W95 FAT32 (LBA)" is "fat 32 or some other Microsoft fs" so oldos2er's post applies. You could format the drive as some Linux filesystem type e.g. ext4, but that will erase the contents of the drive and make it unusable in Windows - which may or may not be an issue for you. You can use a GUI tool such as gparted to format the drive.

eightbits2010
December 2nd, 2017, 02:59 AM
I will experiment some more. In the past I have been able to use a format that also allows me to access it in a Windows system.
I did not know that you could not use USB's formated ext4 in a windows system. I have always formated using a FAT type file system. I would not really need to execute Linux files on windows.

jdarr1
December 4th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Can't you just copy the file to a local directory and then make the file executable with chmod +x <filename>