PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] dual boot with 2 hdds

kwstas
November 29th, 2017, 05:37 PM
hey all
im on a dual boot 32bit pentium4 with xp and lubuntu which works fine!
recently i decided to put a second hhd(separated in ntfs and ext4) and install the minimum ubuntu package to it so as to try compiling the minimum to have it just for booting on mame.
i just finished the installation but

1. i get the "mame" partition 1st in grub (i prefer not)
2. when i boot on it, it comes to a black screen (ctrl+alt+del works)

is what i need to do possible? any ideas of what goes wrong?

edit: i tried to reinstall but same happened.
i tried the option "recovery mode" from grub menu and "root" and "maintenance" and i got this:
[time] timed out waiting for device dev-di******
[depend] dependency failed for /dev/disk/by-*****
[depend] dependency failed for swap.

it seems that after this step it boots normally but still the same if booted from normal 1st grub entry!

yancek
November 29th, 2017, 08:12 PM
What do you mean by "the minimum ubuntu package"? Is this a basic install of an Ubuntu Desktop? If so, which release? I doubt any current release would run on hardware that old so if that's not what you did, post details. What exactly do you mean by "mame"? Can you post some details on your hardware, graphics card, memory, cpu?

deadflowr
November 29th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Do you mean mame as in the game emulator?
As in the goal is to have an install boot directly into mame like a kiosk mode setup, or something like that.

kwstas
November 30th, 2017, 11:39 PM
it was the "mini.iso" the last LTS 16.04 from here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD).
im sorry i wasnt clear enough, yes it's "m.a.m.e" the arcade emulator. I thought i could give it a try to have it booting directly after grub so as not to load anything more since this pc is quite old.
pentium 4 3ghz 2g ram with intergraded graphics card.
30mins ago i tried to install the "mame" on the windowsxp partition and everything finished(instalation,snaps, roms) in 10 minutes!
i just hope to find the way to make it as i want bootable in its own linux partition...

again?
December 1st, 2017, 12:48 AM
If I'm understanding right.... you can still boot into Lubuntu but the grub menu order changed after you installed the mini.iso and you would like Lubuntu first.
If that's the case...
Boot into Lubuntu.
Use disks if it's installed to check which drive the Lubuntu partition is on.
or check via terminal:

sudo fdisk -l

Then reinstall grub to the drive Lubuntu is on.

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
where /dev/sda is the drive the Lubuntu partition is installed to.
***Note: Use the drive sda or sdb etc ...not sda1 sda2 sdb1 etc which is the partition.

kwstas
December 3rd, 2017, 01:31 PM
so if i understood correctly i will just have to re-install grub from the system that i need to have the priority, right?

yancek
December 3rd, 2017, 03:05 PM
so if i understood correctly i will just have to re-install grub from the system that i need to have the priority, right?

Correct, if you want Lubuntu in charge of the bootloader, boot into Lubuntu and run the command suggested above AFTER verifying which drive it is on, sda or sdb.

kwstas
December 3rd, 2017, 07:33 PM
thank you i'll try that!