PDA

View Full Version : libpng-dev packages not downloading!

redmarshall
August 17th, 2006, 01:25 AM
I am Very new to Linux and probably shoudn't be messing with all this programming crap. But I am. I hope that I am just dumb and this is an easy fix!

I am trying to Compile Mplayer with all the new Codecs so that when I install it, it will work with "wmv" files. found instructions on how to do it under the "how to" section of this site.(seemed simple enough, Cut and paste with a few updates) So i get to the point where i type in...

#./configure --enable-gui

...Everythign is going well and then I get hit with an error saying I need "libpng-dev packages" in order to compile it. (ref. screenshot, large window on bottom)

so I try downloading...

#sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2-dev

...Nothing. I know thats an older version but I have tried every version. both in terminal and in Synaptic Package Manager. I'm completely stuck. Any Advice would be great.](*,)

pdub
August 17th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Try doing:

aptitude search libgtk and see what is available. Then install the package by its proper name.

(Edit) Sorry, I see that you are installing the proper package but it has un-met dependencies.

I did not complile mplayer and I can play wmv files no problem. You can follow this guide to help setup muiltimedia and other useful things in Dapper.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

mlind
August 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Does this work for you?

sudo aptitude install libpng-dev

redmarshall
August 18th, 2006, 03:28 AM
yeah, that worked great. Thanks. I'm really new so i'm curious, what is aptitude? I guess what does it stand for?

mlind
August 20th, 2006, 01:13 AM
yeah, that worked great. Thanks. I'm really new so i'm curious, what is aptitude? I guess what does it stand for?

aptitude is like enhanced apt-get. These both are text based interfaces for Debian package management system which Ubuntu uses too.
for aptitude's manual, type man aptitude.