PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 17.04 will not boot running 16.04 on stick

Maxiejoe
November 23rd, 2017, 08:32 PM
Upgraded to 17.04 and all crashed, unable to boot and have to run using 16.04 on flash drive. Message: fsck exited with a status code 4, the root files system on /dev/sda2 requires a manual fsck /dev/sda2 unexpected inconsistency Run fsck manually I.E without a-a or -p options /dev/sda2 contains a file wystem with errors, check forced inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

Researched post and google for hours no luck, How can this be fixed? I cannot get it to boot from the hard drive. Thanks for any advice.

blackbird34
November 23rd, 2017, 11:08 PM
Have you tried boot-repair? I haven't experimented much for a while but it used to save me from all sorts of situations... You can use it from a live session.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Maxiejoe
November 23rd, 2017, 11:47 PM
Yes I have tried boot repair and several other methods. I thiink at this time I am going to try and retrieve my files, Docs, downloads etc. if I can and then re-format the hard drive and install a clean version of 16.04 at this time.

I need to re-post for info on how to retrieve the files without being able to boot. Thanks for your suggestion. My files were backed up on a flash drive but in a moment of brain freeze I overwrote it with 1704 and lost the data.