PDA

View Full Version : What is "German, low" in rosetta

mority
August 16th, 2006, 11:04 PM
My mother tongue is German. A few minutes ago I had a look at the rosetta (https://launchpad.net/rosetta) translation tool and recognized a language called "German, low" in anddition to the normal "German" language.

Can anyone explain the exact difference between the two translation categories?

punkinside
August 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM
perhaps low as in south? translate things into bayerisch or schwaebisch? ;)

mority
August 16th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Well, that's possible. And totally silly, too :)

I am rather confused by this issue and would appreciate any serious explanations (Saying this I don't want to imply you are not being serious, punkinside ;)).

Brunellus
August 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German

ember
August 16th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Well, I think it might be a misguided translation of "Plattdeutsch".

However the thought of a Bajuvarian separatist force forging their own version of Ubuntu makes me smirk :)

ember
August 16th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Damn, Brunellus was faster ;)

mority
August 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German

Aaah, thanks! And sorry for being so lame and not searching the web before asking silly questions. I should have been going to bed like 2 hours ago...

And, man, that's really a totally needless thing to translate Ubuntu to some esoteric german dialects. Can't those people spend their energy on something useful? But okay, I shouldn't complain...

23meg
August 16th, 2006, 11:27 PM
And, man, that's really a totally needless thing to translate Ubuntu to some esoteric german dialects. Can't those people spend their energy on something useful? But okay, I shouldn't complain... Needless for you perhaps, since you don't speak those dialects. Those who do will appreciate that some of their peers invested time and energy to do it.

mips
August 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM
As a non-german 'low german' is actually much easier to read & understand seeing it is closer to afrikaans as a franconian language.

punkinside
August 17th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I think I see it... theire a bit confused. Like "official" german is Hochdeutsch -> high german they think they have to get things in Niederdeutsch -> low german.

I'd personally like them to translate it to schwaebisch i love the way it sounds :D and everything would have a -le in the end! hahaha

just imagine:

"Gruss Gott, willscht du Ubuntu uf doi Komputerle installieren?"

hahahahaha ok that sounded way funnier than it looked. I have to get my father to say this.

dabear
August 17th, 2006, 12:50 AM

hahahahaha ok that sounded way funnier than it looked. I have to get my father to say this.
Actually, what's even funnier, is that I can understand that, even though I've never spoken german at all.. I live in Norway btw

ember
August 17th, 2006, 12:58 AM

Haha - Ubuntu "Spätzle Edition" ;)

But to be correct it should be:

"Griaß Godd, willscht Du Ubuntu uf doi Rechnerle installiere?" ;)

punkinside
August 17th, 2006, 01:06 AM

ROFL - I think I just peed myself

"Griaß Godd, willscht Du Ubuntu uf doi Rechnerle installiere?" ;)

You said it! hahaha My father is from stuttgart he should get a kick out of this.

It figures im in stuttgart right now :) If I eat another Maultasche i will explode...

ember
August 17th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Then go for handmade "Spätzle" - possibly the best thing you can eat ;)

punkinside
August 17th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Been there, done that. Kaesspaetzle is great and Kalbsrahmschnitzel mit spaetzle is coming out my ears. And Zwiebelrostbraten, and jaegerschnitzel and... we eat out a lot hehehe

But then, i only come once a year so i dont mind, i think its the best food i eat all year :)

PenguinMan
August 19th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Mmm... Spätzle. :) It was great with the Sauerbraten I made about three months ago. Yummy!

gasolinehabit
August 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
das ist vielleicht "Plattdeutsch"?