PDA

View Full Version : Android for Computers.

irv
November 18th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Don't get me wrong; I love my Ubuntu laptops. Yes, I said laptops. I have two of them running Ubuntu with Gnome desktops. But I have a tablet and smartphone running Android. 6.0 and 7.0. Android is a good OS, and there are many things I like about it, but there are a few things I would rather use Ubuntu Linux. I prefer using a mouse and keyboard, and that is why I have my tablet hooked up to a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and I like that I can select text by just dragging my mouse over it, hi-lite it, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it where I want it. I like the way Grammarly works, and I like using the sound in Chrome via an extension so I can have web pages read out loud.
With that said, I would still like to have my small Dell laptop setup so I could switch between Ubuntu and Android. I know there are ways to run Ubuntu on Android and vice-versa, but I am talking running them separated so I could get them to dual boot.
What I am trying to say here is, I would think that someone would be offering up Android for the computer platform as a native OS? I am amazed that this has not happened as of yet?

robbie 348
November 18th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I know you can get Android on media players like the Sumvision cyclone, how it would work for everyday use I don't know.

irv
November 18th, 2017, 05:09 PM
Right after I posted this I found Android 7.0 for X86. I got the .iso file but my UNetbootin quit working, so I had to reset up my PPA and got the latest one so now I am making a bootable USB stick to install it on the Dell.
EDIT: I got my UNetbootin working and created a bootable USB stick and tried out on my laptop, No I can install it on my Dell but first I need to get a bigger SSD so Ubuntu and Android will fit. I might wait until Ubuntu 18.04 comes out and do both OS' at the same time.

Wild_Duck66
November 21st, 2017, 11:47 PM
I triple booted an earlier version (Lollipop) along with Windows and Mint and it worked well except when you needed a touchscreen.