PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tablet do you own?

sports fan Matt
November 12th, 2017, 07:44 PM
I was wondering what kind of tablet do ya'll own? I own a Lenovo Tab 10 Tablet, 10.1" HD Touchscreen, Qualcomm Quad-core Processor 1.30GHz, 1GB Memory, 16GB Storage. Not the fastest or best but didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars.

qyot27
November 12th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Teclast Master T10. Ordered it a few hours before Hurricane Irma knocked our power out. It was pretty much the only one that met all the vital* criteria I was looking for in a tablet, so I don't really have anything to compare against, but it's worked well for my purposes. Funny enough, Forbes.com published a review of it last month. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2017/10/23/teclast-t10-review-10-inch-android-tablet-a-great-value-at-under-250/#7542143a17a8) The aluminum body feels really nice and sturdy, you can put the tablet to sleep, and it'll get cold, and using it a longer period of time it'll get warm, but not uncomfortably so. The everyday tasks I use it for are instantly responsive, but I don't game on it - the games I do have on it are simple and would work well even on my two year old smartphone. The battery lasts for close to/over a week if you use the ultra-battery saver mode (and having it on that mode doesn't impede the performance of stuff like Youtube or the games I have) and you're not doing anything intensive on it - I think in the nearly two months I've had it, I've had to charge it maybe three or four times.

Specs: Android 7.0, MediaTek 8176 (2x Cortex-A72 + 4x Cortex-A53), 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, 2560x1600 10.1" IPS screen, mini-HDMI port

*Recent Android, HDMI out, new enough hardware to actually take advantage of 64-bit ARMv8 and the battery optimization that allows for, 1080p or higher resolution. The HDMI port was the main reason, so that I could hook it up to my computer monitor and use the tablet as a makeshift cable box or portable media player if I needed to - lacking extra HDMI cables has made that impractical for the time being, but the tablet screen being nice and big means I can tolerate it a lot more than I could trying to watch stuff on my phone.

7dEfOk4AgU
November 13th, 2017, 02:16 AM
I have three tablets, a Samsung Tablet S2 running Android 7, an iPad running iOS 11.1. A Huawei Matebook E running Ubuntu 17.10 this has an i5 cpu, 8GB ram and a 560GB SSD with
2160 x 1440 resolution. It came with Windows but I have deleted that and installed Ubuntu without any issues.

Meowcenary
November 13th, 2017, 03:01 AM
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A running Android 5 with 1.5 GB of RAM and about 8 GB of device storage. It's great for incredibly basic tasks such as two factor authentication, reading on the internet (not writing), and some incredibly basic games. Unfortunately it's too weak to handle games like Shadowrun and the screen relatively small, sort of like a big phone rather than a tablet.

7dEfOk4AgU
November 13th, 2017, 03:38 AM
I use the Huawei Matebook to demonstrate Linux and in particular Ubuntu to clients and potential users.

makitso
November 13th, 2017, 02:38 PM
I have a Pixel C. Having had iPads, Nexus' etc., its the best device yet. However, the update to Oreo messed it up for me so I needed to flash 7.1.2.

cariboo
November 13th, 2017, 11:02 PM
I use an inexpensive RCA 7" tablet mainly as an ebook reader, and to turn lights on and off in my home automation system. I also have an Asus Eepad Transformer 10" that has a docking station, it doesn't get used much anymore, but I just recently updated it to KitKat 6, it's getting hard to find apps that can run on it properly. I did find that the Econtrol app for Broadlink RM Mini 3 (http://Broadlink RM Mini 3) does run on it, so I use it for setting up IR remotes to eliminate some of the clutter.

poorguy
November 14th, 2017, 04:33 PM
I also own an RCA 7 inch tablet from Walmart it cost $35.00 works excellent.

speedwell68
November 14th, 2017, 06:26 PM
I have an old Samsung Galaxy Tab III 7". I never use the thing. I find tablets a little Mickey Mouse. Chromebooks is where it is at for me.

Artificial Intelligence
November 15th, 2017, 03:59 PM
I don't own a tablet. I can't see what I should use it for. I got my phone and Desktop that should be enough.

irv
November 15th, 2017, 05:23 PM
I just picked up a new one about a week ago. It is Acer - ICONIA ONE 10 - 10.1" - Tablet - 32GB - Marble white (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-iconia-one-10-10-1-tablet-32gb-marble-white/5915600.p?skuId=5915600). I added a 128 SD card to make it a 160 Gig.
I picked up a Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480 White (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MUTWMGY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as well. I had a Blue tooth mouse that works with the tablet so now I am all set.
I had a 7" Asus tablet that I setup for my wife. It has Android 4.2.2 where the new one has Android 7.0. Here is a photo.
The tablet was on sale for $108 but I see it is back up to $129.
With all my music, photos, and data I have over 50 Gig of stuff with me when I have my tablet with me. And by the way, I have a Asus ZenPhone with 96 Gig of storage. I really don't know why I need all this seeing I carry a little Dell 11" 3 in 1 (https://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-3-in-1-dell-venue-11-pro-tablet-pictures/) that I picked up for around $200. I put a SSD and 8 Gig of memory and loaded Ubuntu 17.04 on it. I have about 10 hours battery life in it.
With all of this, I am writing this on my Asus 15" i7 Laptop with Gnome Ubuntu 17.04.

mike837go
November 15th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I've been using an iPad since late 2013. It almost does everything my dying laptop did.

So I upgraded my home PC to cover the hard work.

Since I 'drank the kool-aid' and bought an iPhone, the tablet sees less use. Almost everthing is on the phone.

irv
November 15th, 2017, 07:32 PM
Yes, Mike, It seems like a lot of people have gone the Phone route. I use my phone for a lot of things, but I still like a little bigger screen. When I hit the road for the day, I only carry my phone and the new tablet and leave the laptop home. If I am going to be gone for more then a day, I grab the laptop. I just wish I had Ubuntu on all my devices.

mike837go
November 15th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Yes, Mike, It seems like a lot of people have gone the Phone route. I use my phone for a lot of things, but I still like a little bigger screen. When I hit the road for the day, I only carry my phone and the new tablet and leave the laptop home. If I am going to be gone for more then a day, I grab the laptop. I just wish I had Ubuntu on all my devices.

For me, the iPhone SE is the perfect size for a phone and digital assistant.

When needed, the tablet can pretend to be a TV. But it does email and electronic banking very nicely.

Apple introduced and has updated 'cloud' stuff so that email, notes, photos, contacts and some other things are automatically merged between the two devices.

For personal use, can't beat that with a stick!

But for running a my employer's business, Ubuntu Server all the way!

Wadim_Korneev
November 18th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Have one work general work stuff. I use it for presentations, basic documents, browsing, annotate PDFs (works well with a stylus/pen) and email.

Habitual
November 18th, 2017, 08:18 PM
iPad Pro (2017) Model MP6H2LL/A w\256

Wild_Duck66
November 21st, 2017, 11:43 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, it came with Kit kat (4.4) upgraded it after a day to Lollipop (5.1 Cyanogenmod), now it's on Nougat (7.1.2 Lineage), it does what I want from a tablet.

ChuangTzu
November 23rd, 2017, 12:40 AM
iPad air, it was a gift several years ago, otherwise it would not be Apple :P