PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu Desktop installation error

warmango
November 10th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Recently i tried installing the Lubuntu Desktop, specifically on the Linux Subsystem for Windows and was planning to use it via Xming on the PC, except when I ran the command

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

I received this error after 2 hours of downloading and configuring packages

Errors were encountered while processing: blueman
lubuntu-desktop
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I have since then run the Purge command on the two packages,

HankB
November 10th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Did you see a blog post that indicated this was possible? My understanding is that the Windows Subsystem for Linux (what MS calls it - and I agree that Linux Subsystem For Windows makes more sense) is intended to run text mode programs only. I did a quick Google search on "lubuntu WSL" and saw that some people had success with this. One suggestion was to try to install lubuntu-core instead of lubuntu-desktop. You might also try xfce.

In any case, you are at the mercy of Microsoft and how faithfully they have emulated Linux. At present they have not announced support for a graphical desktop (that I have heard) and until they bring something like that out, you are trying something that is not supported.

Good luck!

warmango
November 10th, 2017, 05:44 PM
they don't have NATIVE support for graphical, but with the X11 based program called Xming, you can run [code] export DISPLAY=:0 [code] and then run the command to launch the graphical program, and thanks, I ended up having to reinstall the Subsystem after a reboot because it wouldn't load

and thanks, I will try core

warmango
November 10th, 2017, 07:24 PM
okay, It has installed properly, no error, but i cant start it, how do i start the Desktop GUI from the terminal?

HankB
November 10th, 2017, 07:48 PM
The pattern I saw in the information I found was to run the X server on Windows and connect to the client on WSL.

warmango
November 11th, 2017, 07:11 AM
thats what im doing, but i cant get it to show me the desktop