PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to hide some icons in Gnome Application Overview (show applications)?

horizonbrave
November 6th, 2017, 07:53 AM
I'd like to please hide some icons from the list of applications that appear in Gnome when clicking on the Show Application 4-dots icon in the dock. This is for preventing my parents to click on admin/system application that may eventually mess their computer. I could avoid making their user account of the admin type but I have anyway to provide them the password eventually so I prefer this "hiding tweak". I've also read somewhere else then the hiding of the icons may eventually be overwritten when applications get updated. If possible I'd like to avoid that. Many thanks! :)

again?
November 6th, 2017, 11:08 AM
You can copy the desktop file from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications
The desktop file same named in ~/.local/share/applications will override the /usr/share/applications one.

Edit the relevant ~/.local/share/applications file by dragging and dropping into gedit, adding the line

NoDisplay=true

To revert, just delete the ~/.local/share/applications file.

shag00
November 6th, 2017, 12:42 PM
@guber2,

you wouldn't happen to know how to turn off each individual disk icon that appears. I have looked in usr/share/applications but cannot find which one it is, if it is indeed there. There must be a better way than just making the mount points hidden folders... I have a lot of disks... Just get them off the desktop is what I'm after.

again?
November 6th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Not sure what you mean.
By default mounted volumes aren't shown on the desktop.
Do you mean choose which ones to show?
Which release and desktop session are you using?

shag00
November 6th, 2017, 10:49 PM
Ah sorry, forgot to mention I am on 17.10 (Xorg/Gnome) where, annoyingly, they are all shown on the desktop.

again?
November 7th, 2017, 01:05 AM
You can turn off showing of all mounted volumes with the command

dconf write /org/gnome/nautilus/desktop/volumes-visible false

shag00
November 7th, 2017, 01:11 AM
That does the trick nicely, thank you.

again?
November 7th, 2017, 01:19 AM
I suggest you install gnome-tweak-tool where this and may other settings are available.

shag00
November 7th, 2017, 01:30 AM
Done, again thanks.