PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Graphic card works only in recovery mode on old Acer Aspire One 105

aglessi
November 4th, 2017, 10:01 AM
I've just installed lubuntu 17.10 on an old ACER Aspire One Notebook (model A 105 - Intel Atom N270). I'm rather satisfied by performance and I'd like to keep it, but I have an issue that I don't know how to solve. Everything works fine only if a start from the recovery partition and then I select to start with Ubuntu, otherwise the graphic card isn't properly initialized and I can see only a small portion of the desktop while the rest of the screen is full of garbage (as it happens when the proper resolution or frame rate aren't correct). As I wrote before the problem doesn't appear if I start from the recovery partition. I am almost a linux newbie and I don't know where to look to try to address this issue. Thanks for any hint.

gianlo
November 4th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Same problem with MSI U123H (Atom N280), i've also try to install intel driver but nothing changes

gianlo
November 4th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Also try this Work-around:
Edit (or create) /etc/X11/xorg.conf as follows: (there should be a tab before each line except the first and the last).
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
EndSection

Nothing

And also conveting installation from lubuntu to xubuntu doesn't works

Graphic card works only in recovery mode why ?

ajgreeny
November 4th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Can you check that you have the xserver-xorg-video-intel package installed.

There was a time in one of the versions of Lubuntu where it was missing and caused problems.

Run command
dpkg -s xserver-xorg-video-intel to see what is installed at present.

aglessi
November 4th, 2017, 06:09 PM

There was a time in one of the versions of Lubuntu where it was missing and caused problems.

Run command

Not installed on my system.
I'll try to install it and I'll let you know.
Thanks

gianlo
November 4th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Yes, I had forgotten ti write, i have also xserver-xorg-video-intel package installed

gianlo
November 4th, 2017, 10:51 PM

Run command

Checking with whis command i notice that Priority is optional, maybe is this the problem ?

aglessi
November 4th, 2017, 11:14 PM
Tried to install server-xorg-video-intel via apt-get but I've got a message saying that was already present and updated to the latest version available. Now I'm confused even more than before...

gianlo
November 5th, 2017, 09:47 AM
What is the difference of video drivers between recovery mode and normal mode?

ajgreeny
November 5th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Recovery mode does not use the normal drivers but fbuffer I believe, which whilst it works, has low level capabilities.

gianlo
November 5th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Any idea for solve ?

mrgs
November 6th, 2017, 06:00 PM
As can be seen here there is attention on the problem:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376580

There are some workarounds mentioned in the Launchpad thread, else I suggest staying with 17.04 for some time.

aglessi
November 6th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Don't know if could be of any help but I have tried to connect an external monitor to the netbook using the VGA port on its side. Well, it works... the desktop appears without any of the referred issues and everything is fine. The external monitor remains blank and I don't have found a way to manage it. Just inserting a VGA plug doesn't work, the external monitor has to be connected and plugged in.

gianlo
November 7th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I have also try this, but without solve the problem

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Simple editor 'nano' will open.
Add line
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
at the end of file.

Save file and exit from nano.
issue command:
sudo update-grub

reboot.

andrewm88
November 7th, 2017, 09:36 PM
As can be seen here there is attention on the problem:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2376580

There are some workarounds mentioned in the Launchpad thread, else I suggest staying with 17.04 for some time.

I'm also completely new to ubuntu, having the same issue running lubuntu 17.10 on a netbook with the intel atom n270 chipset. I've been using it with the nomodeset command added to the grub, but it means im stuck in 600x800 resolution.

When you say stay with 17.04, is there any way to rollback to an older distro or do I have to make a new iso and wipe the system?

Sorry if these are stupid questions!

mrgs
November 8th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I would not say stupid but you could probably have found the answer by googling.
There is no way to roll back a release. Just do a fresh install (which I also recommend when rolling forward).

gianlo
November 12th, 2017, 09:52 AM
This fix the problem:

edit /etc/default/grub and add this line in the end of file

Than: sudo update-grub
reboot

aglessi
November 12th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Tried to edit the file invoking a shell with root privileges from the recovery menu, but it says that I has no write permission for that file. Any workaround?

gianlo
November 16th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Try this:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

markn2wa
February 17th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Sorry if I mess this this up, this is my fires post here!

Thank you very much for your solution as I had the EXACT same problem with my GATEWAY net-book

(an LT2016U).

I am using Lubuntu 17.10.1 with the same issue (evidently using the same graphics card).

I edited the GRUB file using the ABIWORD program that was installed and followed your instructions.

My FIRST GRUB edit! and I did NOT mess things up (pretty good for a newbe!)

Thank you again! Mark T.

wildmanne39
February 17th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Please use the default font color and properties unless you need to highlight or draw attention to a part of your post.

piwikiwi
March 27th, 2018, 12:20 PM
This fix the problem:

edit /etc/default/grub and add this line in the end of file

Than: sudo update-grub
reboot
Hi there,
I have this problem too.

How did you do the editing with only 1/5 of a usable screen?
Clueless win10 convert. Help! Please :)

piwikiwi
March 27th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Update:

so once Im in Recovery mode, it looks okay. But how (step by step please) do I correctly edit to fix the problem?

I tried the fix on the previous page, but its not working for me, could easily be Im doing it wrong....

Thanks for any help.

mrgs
March 27th, 2018, 08:50 PM
I tried the fix on the previous page, but its not working for me, could easily be Im doing it wrong....

If you want us to help from here you need to tell us the exact commands you used and their results, preferrably with copy-paste from the command line.