PDA

View Full Version : The best upgrade routine?

goonybird
October 29th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Hi

I am reinstalling my Windows 10/Ubuntu 16.04 dual-boot system following an irretrievable Windows problem.

With Ubuntu, I usually jump from LTS to LTS but with the recent release of 17.10 I was wondering... As a home user on a single pc, would it be better to simply upgrade to each new 'buntu as it came along?

Also... What is the likelihood of upgrading breaking the dual-boot process?
Knowing how smooth and reliable Ubuntu usually is, I suspect low.

I was just pondering these questions before finishing off and wondered what anyone else thought...

ian-weisser
October 29th, 2017, 03:14 PM
With Ubuntu, I usually jump from LTS to LTS but with the recent release of 17.10 I was wondering... As a home user on a single pc, would it be better to simply upgrade to each new 'buntu as it came along?

100% your preference. There is no technically 'better' option.
If you install a lot of PPAs and chafe at the older software versions in the LTS repos, then the normal 6-month releases may be a better fit.
If you worry about release-upgrades breaking your favorite media player, or dislike small changes, or are annoyed by the 1-hour-every-six-months upgrade requirement, then LTS may be a better fit.

What is the likelihood of [release-]upgrading breaking the dual-boot process?
ANY major change or update to ANY OS risks breaking dual-boot. (That's why I moved my Windows to a VM years ago)
Yes, the risk is higher with Windows, and lower with Ubuntu...but that't not relevant.
As a user, you must manage that risk, using proper backups timed to occur before updaes, keeping install media up-to-date, etc.