PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ZLIB_1.2.9 not found after upgrade/new install of Ubuntu 17.10

dhavalbbhatt2
October 28th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Hello all,
I was using Ubuntu 17.04 quite OK and with the new release of 17.10, I got bitten by the bug to upgrade to the new version. I have a few niche programs that I used to run (most important one being PixInsight - it is an astrophotography tool). After the upgrade I tried to run PixInsight, however, it would not open up. Given that this is a new system, I did a new install of Ubuntu17.10 with no change in behavior as it relates to PixInsight.

I took a look at the syslogs and found the following two lines - I am hoping someone can help:

"/opt/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight: /opt/PixInsight/bin/lib/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)"

"/PixInsight/bin/PixInsight: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".

What happened as part of Ubuntu 17.10 that is breaking the PixInsight program? Can anyone shed some light? I can make this work on Elementary OS (which is what I am running right now, but not liking Elementary OS as much). Is it a case of simply missing some files that are no longer included in 17.10? If so, can I install those?

Thanks,
Dhaval

fanialivio
November 4th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with Ubuntu 17.10 by using ffmpeg to render an animation sequence made with Krita :

/usr/bin/ffmpeg: ./lib/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)

Any help is appreciated,
liviux

bronaldo
November 8th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Hi,
I found the same issue on ubuntu 17.10. I solved the problem in this way: moving the libz.so.1 from the folder and creating a link for libz.so.1 in lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1. In particular the commands are:
cd /your_directory_software/../lib/ (the directory in which is present libz.so.1)
sudo mv libz.so.1 libz.so.1.old
sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1

After that the applications should work fine as in my case.
Simone

ian-weisser
November 8th, 2017, 08:41 PM
Please use the 'ubuntu-bug' application to file a bug report about the issue, including the solution.

martinpi
December 27th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Hi,
I found the same issue on ubuntu 17.10. I solved the problem in this way: moving the libz.so.1 from the folder and creating a link for libz.so.1 in lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1. In particular the commands are:
cd /your_directory_software/../lib/ (the directory in which is present libz.so.1)

Simone

Thanks a lot, this solved the problem!

pbhatt
February 22nd, 2018, 05:52 PM
Hi,

Simone

Thank you so much. It worked for me too!

abhijitdas
May 18th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Simone

Thank you very very much bro it really solved the problem. In my case the problem was that the Mathematica application was not opening :-
/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/9.0/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/Linux-x86-64/Mathematica: /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/9.0/SystemFiles/Libraries/Linux-x86-64/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/local/lib/libpng16.so.16)
After your solution it started working brilliant!!! Otherwise I was going to downgrade my ubuntu to lower versions because of this problem!!! Really happy!!! :guitar:

jsperezc
December 28th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Hi,

Simone

Perfect! Thanks