PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with real-time clock since upgrading to 17.10

pbmilley
October 28th, 2017, 12:17 AM
I recently upgraded from 17.04 to 17.10 using the software update process. The update completed without any errors, and 17.10 is now running without any major issues. However, I was running a script previously that uses "rtcwake" which has since stopped working. (The script automatically hibernates my laptop after a set period of time in sleep mode, and was working perfectly in 17.04)

In the process of troubleshooting, I discovered that the problem was with rtcwake which is complaining about "/dev/rtc0" missing.

Here is output from a sample rtcwake command:

peter@haven:~$ rtcwake -m no -s 1300
rtcwake: assuming RTC uses UTC ...
rtcwake: /dev/rtc0: unable to find device: No such file or directory

I verified that in fact, that directory is missing. Since this was working prior to the upgrade, I have to assume that it was there previously, but I don't know for sure.

In researching the error, I found some suggestions to get further information with "timedatectl" and "hwclock", so here are the results from those commands as well.

"timedatectl":

peter@haven:~$ timedatectl
Local time: Fri 2017-10-27 19:06:26 EDT
Universal time: Fri 2017-10-27 23:06:26 UTC
RTC time: n/a
Time zone: America/New_York (EDT, -0400)
Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: yes
RTC in local TZ: no

"hwclock --debug":

peter@haven:~$ sudo hwclock --debug
[sudo] password for peter:
hwclock from util-linux 2.30.1
Trying to open: /dev/rtc0
Trying to open: /dev/rtc
Trying to open: /dev/misc/rtc
No usable clock interface found.
hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

Has anyone else experienced any similar issues since upgrading? If not, please offer any suggestions how best to proceed with my troubleshooting. Thanks!