PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 17.10 broke Gnome

maccamcmacca
October 24th, 2017, 01:16 AM
Hi

I upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 today and now I can't get into stock Gnome it's always Gnome by Xorg which has a bunch of settings that are annoying me, my tray on the bottom left is gone and there's a blue halo around the windows when they're spread out and I can't change either.

Is there any way to get stock gnome back instead of GNOME with Xorg?

Thanks

vanadium
October 25th, 2017, 12:13 PM
xorg or wayland will not make a difference with the visuals. I would advice you to do a fresh install of the new version rather than the update. Chances are that things will work out better. To add a session with standard gnome to that installation, you can follow the instructions on omgbuntu: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/10/install-vanilla-gnome-shell-ubuntu-17-10

maccamcmacca
October 30th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Cheers man, I just downgraded to 17.04 till 17.10 is well documented. Thank you though :).

jbicha
October 31st, 2017, 02:53 PM
my tray on the bottom left is gone and there's a blue halo around the windows when they're spread out and I can't change either.

That is stock GNOME.

The legacy system status tray in the bottom left has been removed by GNOME. They recommend installing an extension like the Ubuntu appindicators extension or TopIcons Plus if you need those icons.