PDA

View Full Version : Odd installation problems

The Frenchman
October 23rd, 2017, 12:04 PM
l have a laptop that had been running Ubuntu 14.04LTS for a couple of years,but then a few weeks ago it wouldn't boot and all I got was a blank screen with a blinking underscore.As I'm only at beginner level rather than look for fixes I thought it would be a good opportunity to try another Linux version.

I've got several on disc and USB.Unfortunately the first disc I picked up was PC Linux it loaded and booted OK until I tried to shut it down then it just runs command lines then hangs and I have to use the power button.I think my big mistake was not checking before I used the disc which is a 32 bit version (which I've found now is no longer supported)

I've tried a few other Linux versions but the only one I can get to load is a Puppy Linux USB.I've tried Lubuntu and Peppermint discs (which is running fine on the netbook I'm using now).When I try it on my laptop I get to the opening screen select:Try without loading but as soon as I press to select I get the blinking underscore,this happens with Lubuntu,Porteus,Xubuntu and several others on disc and USB.

Is there anything I can do in PC Linux that will fix the bootloader so that I can install Peppermint?

dino99
October 23rd, 2017, 12:54 PM
can you tell us about the laptop specs, mainly the graphic chip; that maybe will explain the black/blank screen problem

The Frenchman
October 23rd, 2017, 03:23 PM
The graphic chip seems fine,using PCLinux and Puppy I have no problems.Just odd that when I try to load other Linux versions I get the start screen like this.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jdacMgqUjNI/V25dTFxGiVI/AAAAAAAAGm4/ip6vps1lSWskdBncOHWam3H5KfUUTKjpwCLcB/s640/01%2BLive%2BCD%2Bboot%2Bmenu.jpg
but when I press enter I just end up with the blinking underscore underneath the graphic