PDA

View Full Version : Synergy and unity 8 dock (Ubuntu 17.10)

evdbovenkamp
October 23rd, 2017, 10:02 AM
I just upgraded from Ubuntu 17.04 to 17.10 and I experience the following problems with Synergy;
(Synergy by Symless is a type of KVM software for sharing one keyboard and mouse between multiple computers. It works on Linux, macOS and Windows.)

I have on the left side my W10 computer and on my right my Ubuntu 17.10 computer.
Normaly I can switch without any problems from/to my windows machine and back.
But since the upgrade to Ubuntu 17.10 (which includes Unity 8....) it is not possible anymore to switch.

When I move the mouse to the left, it just sticks. It does to move to the other screen anymore.
I found a solutions, by changing the config of Synery. Now Synergy thinks the windows computer is on the right (where there is no dock).

If there a way to solve this? So I can move my mouse to the left again...?

I will also post this problem on the forum with Symless.

roundand
October 23rd, 2017, 11:03 AM
[...] When I move the mouse to the left, it just sticks. It doesn't to move to the other screen anymore.
I found a solution, by changing the config of Synergy. [...]

I have the same problem with the upgrade from Ubuntu 17.06 to 17.10 breaking my Synergy setup. Please could you share your solution, even if it doesn't do the complete job?

roundand
October 23rd, 2017, 11:14 AM
I see from http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/10/ubuntu-17-10-release-features that "The GNOME Display Manager 3 (GDM3) takes over login and lock screen duties from LightDM and the Unity Greeter."

gpff
October 23rd, 2017, 11:18 AM
Exact same problem here. Had to configure my left computer to be on the bottom, not ideal.

slickymaster
October 23rd, 2017, 11:33 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

revoddball
October 23rd, 2017, 04:56 PM
I am running into this as well. This however was a clean install. I will try the bottom of the screen trick.

revoddball
October 23rd, 2017, 05:01 PM
I can confirm that setting the display to be at the bottom works. Additionally if you have dual displays on your main machine it may not attach to the bottom of the main display, but the bottom of the secondary display.

ted.mielczarek
October 26th, 2017, 03:30 PM
There's a note from the Synergy author about this, apparently synergy doesn't work with Wayland yet and Ubuntu 17.10 defaults to Wayland: https://symless.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004721927-Wayland-support-on-Linux

I was able to select "XOrg" by clicking the settings icon on the login screen before logging in, and synergy works again in this configuration.

gpff
November 8th, 2017, 09:05 AM
This seems to be fixed with the last update of the ubuntu dock. I can enter my second computer on the left again.

Edit: actually not... I was under an xorg session