PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After update to 17.10 System hangs during boot

igouy
October 20th, 2017, 07:46 PM
After in place update from 17.04 desktop (Intel Q6600, NVidia GeForce 8600 GT, MS Win dual-boot), system hangs during boot

[FAILED] Failed to start AppArmor initialization
[OK] Started GNOME Display Manager.collect and submit kernel crash signatures.... as shutdown....

???

igouy
October 23rd, 2017, 02:04 AM
So far I've managed to find a problem with missing NVidia packages, which led me to a networking problem seemingly caused by some resolvconf name-server mis-configuration.

I've managed to fix the resolvconf problem enough to load the missing Nvidia packages -- but now I'm stuck at:

[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager.
[ OK ] Started Hostname Service.

dino99
October 23rd, 2017, 07:24 AM
if you are login with wayland (ubuntu default) then it probably dislike your nvidia driver

strixtux
October 23rd, 2017, 08:37 AM
Did the same upgrade. Mine hangs, too. Unless I unplug all USB devices. Then it runs up fine.
Funny.

stuart-roebuck
November 23rd, 2017, 08:25 PM
Having the same problem here, "[FAILED] Failed to start AppArmor initialization." booting up today. I think there was a kernel update yesterday before I shut down.

My laptop is an Nvidia Optimus and I was NOT running wayland, but, regardless, the wayland option comes at the login prompt and this failure happens before I get to the login.

My case fitted the problem described here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/973765/apparmor-initialization-failed-in-ubuntu-17-10

I applied the "sudo apt install apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu" sulution presented and then restarted.

After the first restart I didn't get to the login but the apparmor issue had been resolved.

After the second restart everything worked fine.