PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Extremely slow shutdown on Ubuntu 17.10

silverslimer
October 20th, 2017, 04:07 PM
After installing Ubuntu 17.10, the shutdown process takes about 10 minutes to complete. It seems to be unable to stop wpa_supplicant properly. Has anyone else experienced this?

slickymaster
October 20th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades for a better fit

pparo
October 21st, 2017, 08:52 PM
Hi,
same problem as you, check here -> https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/77opsd/ubuntu_1710_slow_shutdown/
now for me shutdown's time is normal and everything is OK.
if you make a mess whit your PC i don't take any responsibility, I'm the newbiest person in the world:)

silverslimer
October 22nd, 2017, 03:03 PM
I tried a more recent version and ended up with a boot loop so I went back to the original. 4.13.8 will be fine by me if it works. I'll try and let you all know.

silverslimer
October 22nd, 2017, 04:06 PM
I just want to confirm that using 4.13.8 works flawlessly.

colmeweb
November 12th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I just updated using 4.13.12, startup is still a little slower than 17.04, but shutdown is fine.
The kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ worked fine.

nipunwaas1
November 14th, 2017, 02:43 AM
I fixed this ...follow this.
First you have to log into your account in ubuntu on Xorg (just click the wheel next to the sign in button in the log screen)
Next press alt+f2 and enter the command gksu nautilus and hit enter..after that u will get a pop up window asking for password and enter it.
Next you will get the owner permission to your ubuntu and you will get file window..next go to the location etc/systemd/system.conf and click the file after that change the value in DefaultTimeoutStopSec to 4s..then save the file and restart your computer..
Now it should work..

markackerman8@gmail.com
November 15th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks, nipunwaas1

"go to the location etc/systemd/system.conf and click the file after that change the value in DefaultTimeoutStopSec to 4s"

For Newbies - Easy-Peasy and Thanks Worked For Me!

In Terminal

sudo gedit /etc/systemd/system.conf
Find Ridiculous Default of 90 seconds and change to 4,
note the '#' must be removed

#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s

change to

DefaultTimeoutStopSec=4s
Save / Exit / Reboot

Esay Peasy Thanks, Mark :)

Scott Deagan
February 6th, 2018, 01:28 PM
.../etc/systemd/system.conf and change the value DefaultTimeoutStopSec to 4s..then save the file and restart your computer...

Thank you! Every now and then (about every 3rd or 4th shutdown) my Kubuntu 17.10 would hang for a couple of minutes. After changing DefaultTimeoutStopSec to 4s (4 seconds), I haven't had a single slow shutdown. It has only been 24 hours since I applied this "fix" ("workaround"?), but so far, so good.