PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost desktop!

makem2
October 12th, 2017, 07:40 PM
I have a standard updated xubuntu installed and somehow I have 'lost' my desktop.

I first noticed this whilst using the desktop and opening a terminal. I got an error saying Super-t did have an association (or something like that). I was also unable to open a terminal from the right click menu. I could not open a filer window either.

I rebooted, signed in and my email program opened on its own small background. I did not have the bar at the top and none of the mouse buttons worked on the desktop.

I have use an instance of the same xubuntu on usb to gain access to this forum and ask if it is possible to resurrect my desktop or must I reinstall the operating system afresh?

My home is on a separate partition.

jimford
October 13th, 2017, 09:50 AM
I had this problem some while ago, and IIRC it was simply a matter of reinstalling the desktop xfce4, or something like that. I'm sorry though - I can't remember how, but I do remeber that it was easy!

Jim

ajgreeny
October 13th, 2017, 11:27 AM
See if xfwm is running, or perhaps simply run command
xfwm to start it. Once running it may give you back your expected desktop, and hopefully will start at session start in future.

makem2
October 13th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. However, before receiving them I decided to reinstall xubuntu afresh. It has given me a problem as I have two hards drives, one for xubuntu and one for dual booted windows 10. Xubuntu stores data on the windows drive in an NTFS partition which is no longer mounted. I am creating a thread in general help as this is not now the correct forum.

ajgreeny
October 13th, 2017, 12:12 PM
OK.
On the assumption that this thread is no longer needed, please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top. It is a great help to users searching the forum.

ajgreeny
October 13th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Thread closed.