PDA

View Full Version : Idea Discussion: Human Install Guides

rdd
August 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Preface: I believe that two things about Ubuntu and Linux in general are true:

Ubuntu is a great Operating System for the average computer user. It is more secure and easier to use. Read these forums and you will notice that most problems stem from doing more ambitious stuff with your computer. I mean the user that has a simple computer (2-3 years old) and uses it for word-processing, eMail, web-browsing, loading images off their digicam and maybe im-ing. For that user, Linux is the better choice.
The time to spread Linux is NOW. We are at the crossroads. Once everyone is convinced that the castrated kind of computer that MS and the content industry want to create is normal, the battle is lost.

Installing Ubuntu is quite easy but I still wouldn't trust my mum with moving all her data and finding the right programs to use. However, if I sit next to her, walk her through this and take an hour afterwards to explain how to get around, she will be off into a bright Linux future.

So I was thinking of a service where 'seasoned' Ubuntu-users could register. And regular computer users, scared of taking on the installation on their own could get into contact with them. Perhaps sort it by country/area. I for one would be most happy to help someone install Ubuntu in and around Kiel (that's where I live) if they offer me a cup of coffee in exchange. The forums and IRC are great for people who are at home on the net but the described average user probably knows only eMail as a form of online communication.

I would be very interested in some thoughts on this.

rdd

3rdalbum
August 16th, 2006, 12:39 PM
It's a very good idea, and I think you should get started with a framework for this interaction.

halfvolle melk
August 16th, 2006, 02:25 PM
In Belgium they have set up something like that:
http://map.ubuntu-be.org/nl/
If you click any of the nodes the balloon will say if and what CDs the user has (burned or pressed), if the user will install for you and if it's done for free or not. Lastly there's a link for making an appointment. It's a nice idea and shouldn't be to hard to set up.

Brunellus
August 16th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Ubuntu is a great Operating System for the average computer user.

The time to spread Linux is NOW

I'm always uneasy when I read things like that.

Not that volunteering as Ubuntu human support isn't a good idea, but I'm just bracing for the wave of "Ubuntu suxx0rz/is not ready/wont' play mpg/ can't use dreamweaver/ doesn't act like Windows" posts on the forums.

rdd
August 17th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I know what you mean, but I think that exactly would be the task of a Human Install Guide. To drive the point home, that this is not Windows and how they can still do everything and more.

And Dreamweaver is not a program that would be used by the average user.

I find that it takes a moment for the average user to understand what 'a new operating system' means. And someone to explain this, surely accellerates this process.

What the guys in Belgium did is a neat solution. I love the way you can click on the balloons and directly get in contact. Since I am not too good with javascript myself I'll try to get in contact with them and work something out for a broader project.

rdd

aysiu
August 17th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Aren't there Linux User Groups that have install parties or something like that?

rdd
August 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I think the Install-Fests have sort of died down because the install itself has become quite simple. Today it is not so much a question of getting installed as a question of getting started and the actual transition of working with Linux instead of Windows.

Of course there is some discussion going on on having a 'Welcome Centre'. See here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWelcomeCentre

I think this would go a long way but human guides would cater for a different audience.

DoctorMO
August 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Let me know if you set up a map, I'll be on it.

It's set up with google maps btw, not sure how you arrange it with them but I've seen it done for loads of community type things like podcasts.