PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new to ubunto unable to get Panda PAU007 wireless adapter to work on ubuntu 16.04

risenhour
October 8th, 2017, 09:22 PM
I'm new to ubunto and linux in general. I struggle to do basic things in linux. My old laptop ethernet card died and I recently installed Ubuntu 16.04. The Panda PAU07 is recognized when booting Ubunto 16.04 from a USB drive, but when installing Ubuntu on the laptop it is not recognized. Currently I am connecting to the internet using my phone as a usb teether.

I would like step by step instructions at a basic level on how to get the wireless usb adapter to work. I also ran the wireless-info.txt information in the ubuntu paste text bin.

Thanks again for the assistance.

jeremy31
October 8th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Can you post the link to paste.ubuntu.com for the contents of the wireless-info.txt file?

risenhour
October 8th, 2017, 09:34 PM
sorry. here is the link http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/25702663/

jeremy31
October 8th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Is there a switch on this computer to enable/disable wireless? The script results are a mess but it did show a hard block on wireless

risenhour
October 8th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Yes but the switch is broken and I think the internal Ethernet card is broken. Function f2 won't even turn it on.

Also connecting via a wired connection broken too

jeremy31
October 8th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Can you remove the internal wireless card to see if that will allow the USB one to work? From what I can tell it is an old Gateway laptop and if removing the internal card doesn't work, you will need to find a way to fix or bypass the switch

Let me guess that wireless didn't work in Windows either..that switch affects any Operating System but you might be able to mask PIN 20 on the wireless card(internal) so that the switch has no affect

Search google images for wireless fix pin 20 and you should get enough info

risenhour
October 8th, 2017, 10:06 PM
It was working in Windows using the USB adapter for months then broke. What I don't understand is if I boot Ubuntu 16.04 from the USB flash drive wireless on the panda USB adapter works. When i installed Ubuntu from the same flash drive on the hard disk it doesn't work. I can try removing the internal ethernet adapter. I hope it is easy.

jeremy31
October 8th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Can you boot in Ubuntu using the USB and post results for the wireless script?

risenhour
October 8th, 2017, 10:55 PM
ok. sorry for the delay. Here is the link now that i'm online with the usb ubuntu flash drive.

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/25703391/