PDA

View Full Version : Gaming laptops, dual boot with windows

Earwen
October 3rd, 2017, 05:19 PM
Posting this in the Cafe, as it is too broad for hardware, imho)

So, my current desktop is about 9 years old, and it's time to move on. And I need to switch to laptop for many reasons.
A lot has changed, and looks like I've got no idea about modern hardware at all)

So, I'd like to find some gaming laptop that could run modern games smoothly in case I'd like to try one (most likely some RPG), and at the same time be compatible with Ubuntu (or some of it's flavors, haven't decided yet) without too much trouble as it is going to be my main working system. Things that I definitely need is 512GB+ SSD, 1TB+ HDD and a screen at least 16". And I can spend ~2-2.5K $ on it.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking?

mastablasta
October 4th, 2017, 06:49 AM
probably a supported HP (omen) or Dell (alienware). not sure which one from their gaming line works well with linux. maybe also Asus.
wuld somehting like Dell Precision 17 7720 also do the job?

you will likely be looking the intel nvidia combo for now. at least until Ryzen comes on laptops with new GPUs.
depending on requirements some amd A chips might also do.

dual boot complicates things, but i guess for games you need it.

Earwen
October 4th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Thanks! Will look into these variants.

sdsurfer
October 5th, 2017, 05:57 AM
I just bought a system76 and LOVE IT. I have the Gazelle, but the Oryx looks pretty awesome. They are the only company (that I found) that also provides financing off the shelf through Affirm, which charges no APR (but there is a finance charge.) As of yet, zero problems with either.

The bad (ish) news is System76 only distributes Ubuntu/Linux, but you can buy one with a dual disk and format the second one with Windows, or do a partition on a single drive. System76 doesn't offer support for dual boot, so you're on your own, but they have a document discussing it on their site (not sure if I can post a link here, so won't.)

For retro, Eduke32 is the only game I really ever play.

mastablasta
October 5th, 2017, 07:35 AM
eh couldn't find their gaming laptop - it's Oryx. they make good laptops loaded with Ubuntu.

Earwen
October 6th, 2017, 12:13 AM
Oryx is exactly what I need, thanks!
The bad thing is they don't ship to Russia, but i think it's solvable.

Being on my own with dual boot is fine for me)