PDA

View Full Version : POP OS and Ubuntu

nomad762
September 29th, 2017, 05:18 AM
Do any other system 76 hardware users have some ideas about what to expect down the road . My lemur is the first laptop I have owned that came with Ubuntu preinstalled. I like the fact that the hardware just works out of the box. But, will I still be able to get my favorite OS on my favorite hardware? Can I still expect support over the life of my machine? And why the furor out of some corners about the change in the desktop. We all went thru this before. Remember?? And our fears turned out unfounded. I remember the old gnome desktop. I have used unity. No problems. Time to move with the Ubuntu team to a new enviroment. Got thru the learning curve (it wasn't much of one) before. I can still remember going thru hoops and barrel rolls to get certain software to work way back when.And wireless? Times have changed. Ubuntu is so much nicer now. I trust the devs. Looking forward to the next LTS. But i don't know where system 76 is going. Hope it will all work out for us "casual users." ???

HermanAB
September 30th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Howdy,

For me, the advantage of buying from a place like System76 or Emperor, is that I then know that the machine hardware was chosen to work properly with Linux. So it is a low risk purchase. If I buy the machine from Dell, it should work and if I buy from HP, it may work. So other vendors present a higher level of risk to me.

When I receive the machine, it is then re-installed with the distribution that is best for the project that I am working on, which may not even be Linux. It may be RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu or OpenBSD.

sdsurfer
October 5th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Yeah I'm still "gray" on PopOS, and wonder why. Shouldn't we just be able to upgrade to 18 when it's released? Yeah I know Unity will be out, Gnome only, is PopOS just to support their proprietary desktop?

untrustytahr
October 5th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Their CEO says they'll be supporting Ubuntu for the time being...

Pop!_OS reddit quote:

Hi! We will continue to support Ubuntu on our hardware for the foreseeable future. That's an understandable concern. Hardware working with the pure Linux stack is our thing. Always has been, always will be. It's what we care about and how we're different from OEM's that are used to doing things the proprietary way. We might be a little ahead on drivers out of necessity but that's the same as today.

I remember reading a few months back that they are slowly going to ramp-up designing their own hardware (as opposed to reselling/branding hardware), but that's a long term project over the coming years.

As Herman said, once you know the hardware works with linux, it's usually not difficult to make any distro work with it... which explains distro-hopping, but I digress:biggrin:...