PDA

View Full Version : Switch from MATE to unity

tregrrr
September 27th, 2017, 11:39 AM
So I thought I would give mate a try, having used Unity a bit already. I installed Ubuntu mate on a next computer but am really not loving it. Is there any relatively painless way to switch FROM mate to Unity on a system that was built with the mate live DVD?

While I agree that Google is supposed to be my friend, it really is only interested in giving up pages of people wanting to switch to MATE

I guess I could burn the installation and reinstall from scratch, but that's giving up too easily and doing things the windows way

ajgreeny
September 27th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Which numerical Ubuntu version did you install?

There are ways to add a second (or even more) DEs to an installation but it does tend to give you a very crowded and confusing menu or dash system, so in spite of your comments about not giving up it may be simpler to start again.

Are you aware that unity will no longer be the default DE of Ubuntu from 17.10 onwards and gnome will replace it, though unity should still be available as it has been taken under the wing of community devs.

tregrrr
September 27th, 2017, 04:11 PM

Hrrrm. That sucks.

What If I were throw /usr in a USB bomb shelter before nuking, would it be able to just repopulate if I threw it over top of the fresh one? I'm mostly just thinking about the docs and libre office settings