PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Launcher groups and filenames

Nick Levinson
September 24th, 2017, 01:27 AM
In Ubuntu 16.04.2 desktop, how can I improve the left panel? The application icons seem randomly ordered, which is a problem as there are 121 or so icons in a panel about 6.5" tall and one icon wide requiring scrolling, almost all for programs, almost all angled and overlapping so they're harder to recognize, and some of them have meaningless icon designs or look alike. I'd like them grouped by type or as I decide (dragging 121 one at a time to beyond the screen is slow) and I'd like to see their names without having to hover. The help at https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/unity-launcher-intro.html (as accessed 9-4-17) doesn't say and I didn't find more by Googling.

vanadium
September 24th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Why do you label your post with Ubuntu gnome while it apparently relates to the standard Ubuntu version? You are not using the left panel for what is is designed, quick launching of your five or so mos used programmes, and manageing of your say at most 10 running applications (you are a power user by then).

Apparently it is technically possible to cram 121 icons on the left panel, but you now see for yourself how that works.

If you really want to manage your icons this way, then you would be better off using the desktop to place icons and folders containing icons. Then you can manage your icons as you would files, i.e. move and drag one of them or several at the same time to the category you want.

mc4man
September 24th, 2017, 03:41 PM
I would definitely remove most of those launchers. It could of happened from installing via ubuntu-software/software-center which auto adds installed apps to the launcher.
If you wanted to expend so time you can create 'category launchers' where the icon launches an app & the right click quicklists (desktop actions) will launch similar type apps.
Here I have one for Utilities & one for A/V apps so 2 icons can be used contain/launch 20 apps or scripts, ect.

Nick Levinson
September 26th, 2017, 02:02 AM
My error re Gnome; that's what I thought it was (I forgot why I thought that and I probably can't change the prefix). It's Unity.

Installing apps automatically added the icons to the launcher.

I use a lot more than 10 apps and install more than I use so they'll be available in case, if they look potentially helpful.

The only obvious alternative to the launcher is the search box, but that depends on a developer's choice of keywords that a search will match and I often browse categories to find something useful.

wildmanne39
September 26th, 2017, 02:06 AM
Changed the prefix to Ubuntu for you!