PDA

View Full Version : does this laptop exist?

eyeballs2
September 16th, 2017, 03:05 AM
I'd like to get a new laptop setup to do the following, wondering if anything exists that can pull this off:

0. 2 in 1 convertable (like hp spectre or lenovo yoga)
1. run ubuntu as main operating system
2. run windows 10 in a virtual machine for office and itunes mainly
3. has thunderbolt
4. has a compatible thunderbolt dock available that I can use to run external monitor
5. has 8th gen intel proc
6. has ability to accept 32gb of ram

just wondering if anyone knows of good hardware that could achieve this

Thanks!

wildmanne39
September 16th, 2017, 03:20 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe since it is a non-support question.

sdsurfer
October 14th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Have you looked at a system76? (Google it)

I got a Gazelle few months back. They distribute **only** Linux/Ubuntu, and is the only company I know of that offers financing off the shelf through Affirm, no APR (but there is a financing charge.)

Rather than use a VM, you may be better off getting one with dual drives and reformat the second for Windows, I guess it depends on how frequently you need to go into Windows.

I find their support very responsive, I had an issue the first time it booted (something stupid I did) and they picked up on the third ring, after hours. Which pretty much blew me away. :-) She actually knew what she was talking about, and wasn't following some response manual like some support.

They are based in Colorado, and I'm **pretty sure** it would support what you need. I would even bet if you called them in advance they would set it up to your specifications.

Correction: I just made another payment, the APR is fixed based on your credit. It's the other way around, no finance or late payment charges from Affirm.

kurt18947
October 29th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Have you looked at a system76? (Google it)

.................................................. ..............
I find their support very responsive, I had an issue the first time it booted (something stupid I did) and they picked up on the third ring, after hours. Which pretty much blew me away. :-) She actually knew what she was talking about, and wasn't following some response manual like some support.
.................................................. ..............

Tech support who answer the phone after hours AND knows what they're talking about? Do you think it a sign of the apocalypse?

:tongue:

sdsurfer
October 30th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I know, right? :-D They even solved this problem, which I'd been on for weeks. Fortunately the Gazelle was still under warranty, which qualified it for a little "leg up."

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2374425