PDA

View Full Version : Boot failure after release-upgrade to 14.04.1 LTS

ed7564
September 12th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Hello

I'm trying to upgrade an old Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS to 14.04.1, it's a virtual VMware machine.
The upgrade process goes very well, no errors or such are encountered as far as I've seen.

Finally I get the prompt to reboot the system in order to finish the release upgrade.
Selecting 'yes' (reboot) subsequent startups fail. In the boot screen I can only see an error message saying "Error: File not found" flash by, printed 2-3 times.

How can this boot failure be solved?

mörgæs
September 13th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.
Before you proceed: Is downloading a fresh 16.04.3 and running it as a virtual machine an option?

ed7564
October 4th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.
Before you proceed: Is downloading a fresh 16.04.3 and running it as a virtual machine an option?

Unfortunately the alternative of setting up a completely new installation would be undesirable. This machine is a server where some work/configuration has been performed and I am not completely informed about it.

Simply performing a dist-upgrade would be a better alternative, and it almost work - except for the boot issue.

mörgæs
October 6th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Sorry, can't help you here. I'm not experienced enough in virtual machines.

ed7564
October 10th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Sorry, can't help you here. I'm not experienced enough in virtual machines.

It should not matter that much that it is a virtual machine. The booting process should not be different in any important aspect.

What can you tell me about the boot system, in general?

mörgæs
October 10th, 2017, 06:49 PM
What I can tell you might not help your situation.

I use first and foremost old hardware from the days before Restricted Boot. Have almost never boot problems.
I have little patience with old software. A fresh install of the latest stable version keeps the doctor away.
The only tool I have used for solving boot problems is Boot Repair. Recommended.