PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Useful Quick Keys

paretooptimum
April 3rd, 2005, 10:11 PM
I thought it would be useful to have a thread on useful quick keys. I'll start, please all contribute your favourites.

<Ctrl> + <Alt> + arrow keys changes workspace

It took me a while to find this one.

arctic
April 3rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
the once that i use most frequently:

ctrl + tab = change window tab (e.g. in firefox)
alt + tab = toggle between different applications

bored2k
April 3rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
* Firefox *
ctrl + d - Bookmark
alt + d - link
shift + tab - backwards shift
ctrl + f4 - close tab
ctrl + t - new tab

* Epiphany *
ctrl + l - Location

* Gaim *
ctrl d - minimize

Gandalf
April 3rd, 2005, 11:41 PM
firefox
ctrl + page down = next tab
ctrl + page up = previous tab

nice tip:
System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts ->Window Management -> Toggle Fullscreen mode, put it to Alt + Enter (my opinion)
then
for any program
alt + enter = full screen

artio
April 9th, 2005, 10:03 AM
I like

left Alt + right Alt

to switch between keyboard layouts.

Unfortunately, it only works one way, i.e. it doesn't switch back. Anybody knows how to fix this?

ming0
April 11th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Here's an AWESOME trick!

Firefox or Opera:

Press '/' and then start typing--press enter to search for the term.
(f3 will find next instance of same word)

matid
April 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Here's an AWESOME trick!

Firefox or Opera:

Clicking on ' does almost the same, but it searches only between links.

kuleali
April 13th, 2005, 03:36 PM
nice ones!

razaza
April 13th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Here's an AWESOME trick!

Firefox or Opera:

Or:
Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced --> Accessibility --> Begin finding when you begin typing

Now, just start typing and FF will begin searching.

jonny
April 13th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Not quite a key press, but my personal favourite: click with the mouse wheel in Nautilus to keep open the window you're clicking from.

luca_linux
April 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Ctrl + x = cut
Ctrl + c = copy
Ctrl + v = paste

basse1989
April 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I know this one has been posted but, the only one I ever use is ctrl + t in firefox, and ctrl + x/c/v should not be forgotten. :)

And a tip for u guys who like key combinations, I've edited gconf to start gnome-launch-box (http://micke.hallendal.net/gnome-launch-box/) when I press alt + space, gnome-launch-box is a application I really recomend you try.
Check it out!

sMell
April 13th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Nautilus

ALT-DOWN with icon selected descend downwards in hierarchy

ALT-UP ascends to parent folder
(IMO this is now inconsistant with the ****** "spatial" patch)

Hold shift when opening folders or ascending to close the previous window (default behavior) or keep it open (spatial patch --- only when descending)

Nano
April 13th, 2005, 10:57 PM
You haven't mentioned the one I use the most: I set the Windows key for opening nautilus :)

sMell
April 14th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Hold Shift while moving windows around to force alignments

poofyhairguy
April 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM
You haven't mentioned the one I use the most: I set the Windows key for opening nautilus :)

how?

Stormy Eyes
April 14th, 2005, 08:02 PM
ALT+F1 -- access menu
ALT+F2 -- run program
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE -- for when X gets obnoxious...

poofyhairguy
April 14th, 2005, 08:19 PM
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE -- for when X gets obnoxious...

I tell Window's converts that this command is the equivalent to ctrl-atl-delete. When you are mad at your desktop, it makes the problems go away and regroup...

joe_williams
April 14th, 2005, 08:55 PM
in Firefox:

Help>Help Contents>Tabbed Browsing>Keyboard Shortcuts (and Mouse Shortcuts)

......a complete list of shortcuts

hecfran
April 14th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new around in ubuntu and it's quite nice to see this community, always willing to help :-) . Congratulations!!

I just switched from gentoo, I guess I just got tired of compiling everything :roll: and I have to say that ubuntu is one of the best linux distros I've tried. \\:D/ . Gentoo is a really nice one too.

Well, my quick key

In case you're compiling or running any CPU intensive program and you need the full power of your machine (let's say Quake!) in the shell where you started the program, press Ctrl+z and the program is put on hold, later to resume just type fg and Enter. Everything will go on as before.

Mr_Radarkontakt
April 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Here's an AWESOME trick!

Firefox or Opera:

Firefox:

Ctrl-f --> Write your search string --> Press enter to find next word in the text

//Mr Radarkontakt

fordfan753
April 23rd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Ctrl + Alt + Backspace
Ctrl + Alt + + or - (numpad) Cycle Screen Resolutions

KDE has Ctrl + Alt + Esc linked to xkill...but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the equivelant working in gnome....anyone with ideas?

Nano
April 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
You can assign the Windows key to open your Home folder with Nautilus.

basse1989
April 23rd, 2005, 07:00 PM
KDE has Ctrl + Alt + Esc linked to xkill...but I haven't been able to figure out how to get the equivelant working in gnome....anyone with ideas?
I have ctrl + alt + k linked to xkill, you should be able to link ctrl + alt +esc to the same. You can do this in gconf > apps > metacity > global_keybindings/keybindings_commands. Gconf is Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor.

Baikonur
April 24th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Is it possible to bind winbutton + something as shortcuts?

basse1989
April 24th, 2005, 12:49 PM
yepp

doclivingston
April 24th, 2005, 03:21 PM
You used to be able to use the Windows key as a modifier (like alt, control, etc) in the Keyboard Shortuts prefs, but as os Gnome 2.8 they changed it so that you can use the Windows keys as a shortcut by itself.

The best way I've found of using Windows-something is to edit the shortcuts via GConf-editor. Go to /apps/metacity/global_keybindings or window_keybindings. Where you see <Alt>Key or <Control>Key or somthing, use <Super>Key. Also make sure that you don't have the Windows key bound to something by itself.

heimo
April 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Many of my favourites have already been mentioned.

These work in many places (terminal, browser location bar etc):

ctrl+k = kill end of the line
ctrl+w = delete the beginning of the word (when your cursor is at the middle of word)
ctrl+a = go to the beginning of line (EDIT: or select all)
ctrl+e = go to the end of line

EDIT: Oh! This is my latest favourite! I just recently discovered that you can middle click tabs in Firefox to close them.

crazybill
April 24th, 2005, 11:29 PM
ctrl-alt-F1 (or F2-F6) switch to terminal
ctrl-alt-F7 switch back to Gnome

mariuss
April 27th, 2005, 09:08 PM
It took a bit of digging to figure how to add keyboard shortcuts to run arbitrary commands. Here are the steps in case someone else needs them:

- start the GConf Editor: Applications / System Tools / Configuration Editor
- go to /apps/metacity/keybinding_commans
- edit command_1, set it to some command, like kdocker -f
- go to /apps/metacity/global_keybindings
- edit run_command_1, set it to a key combination, like <Super>z

Sionide
April 27th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Some really good suggestions coming in, I always use the 'find as you type' feature under Firefox though, it's brilliant. I tend to use all these shortcuts a lot, because I'm on my laptop - I hate the little touchpad thingy and really need to find a nice new usb mouse I think! :P

Eproxus
April 27th, 2005, 09:48 PM
These are ones that I've configured myself:

<Ctrl><Alt>T - Open Terminal
<Ctrl><Alt>1 - Send window to workspace 1
<Ctrl><Alt>2 - Send window to workspace 2
<Ctrl><Alt>3 - Send window to workspace 3

You can do this too in System->Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts.

Many favourites are already named earlier. :-)

Sionide
April 27th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Along the same lines as ctrl+x/c/v - don't forget Alt+F4 :P

flipy
April 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Not quite a key press, but my personal favourite: click with the mouse wheel in Nautilus to keep open the window you're clicking from.
well, it is really annoying, I want to use just one windows and still use nautilus (no the explorer base)... anyone know how to get rid of it?

henriquemaia
April 28th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Among my favorites ones is Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring mnemonic.

This is a sequence of keys presses to use when everything else fails on your system (i.e. ctrl+alt+backspace, for instance)

You press:

Left Alt + SysRq (printscreen key) + r
Left Alt + SysRq + s
Left Alt + SysRq + e
Left Alt + SysRq + i
Left Alt + SysRq + u
Left Alt + SysRq + b

You have to give a little time between key presses.

I have tried this a few times and it works.

(I found this info on this site (http://www.brunolinux.com/01-First_Things_To_Know/Skinny_Elephants.html), back when I was a Mandrake user. The credit of this info should be given to Bruno, the site owner.)

Arto
April 29th, 2005, 12:15 AM
well, it is really annoying, I want to use just one windows and still use nautilus (no the explorer base)... anyone know how to get rid of it?

http://ubuntuguide.org/#openeachfolderssamewindownautilus

bored2k
April 29th, 2005, 12:23 AM
This is IMO the mother of all Quick Keys:

1. Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor > apps > metacity >
Now here is the interesting part:
2. global keybindings. Here select from the run_command_#, double click on it and in the value put the command you would like [example: <Shift>F1 will run X command when you press Shift+F1].
3. After selecting your command launchers, go to keybinding commands, double click on the command_x you modified previously, and enter the application launcher.

This trick will work with everything. An example is this: I have shift+f1 open beep media player, shift+f2 open nautilus, and so on. That's almost a tips n tricks trick :-P

henriquemaia
April 29th, 2005, 12:37 AM
This is IMO the mother of all Quick Keys:

1. Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor > apps > metacity >
Now here is the interesting part:
2. global keybindings. Here select from the run_command_#, double click on it and in the value put the command you would like [example: <Shift>F1 will run X command when you press Shift+F1].
3. After selecting your command launchers, go to keybinding commands, double click on the command_x you modified previously, and enter the application launcher.

This trick will work with everything. An example is this: I have shift+f1 open beep media player, shift+f2 open nautilus, and so on. That's almost a tips n tricks trick :-P

You can accomplish that with xbindkeys also. I prefer that way, because you can keep the same shortcuts between desktop environments/window managers. You just have to be sure that xbindkeys is running on startup.

To configure xbindkeys, just edit ~/.xbindkeysrc

I just love it.

henriquemaia
May 2nd, 2005, 02:57 AM
You can accomplish that with xbindkeys also. I prefer that way, because you can keep the same shortcuts between desktop environments/window managers. You just have to be sure that xbindkeys is running on startup.

To configure xbindkeys, just edit ~/.xbindkeysrc

I just love it.

If, under a terminal, you type:

sudo apt-get install xbindkeys-config

You'll get a useful gtk frontend to configure your xbindkeys.
After installation, press alt + f2 and type:

xbindkeys-config

And create your shortcut keys.

Just remember to put xbindkeys in your session startup (in whichever Desktop Environment / Window Manager you like to use).

beerorkid
May 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Kill capslock I hate the capslock

I never use the Caps Lock button. Never. The only time I "use" it is when I accidently press it and start typing things in UPPERCASE. To disable it in Linux all you have to do is enter this on the command line:

$ xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"

To set this permanently, just stick the above line in your ~/.bashrc file (or /etc/bash.bashrc if you're root) so that it looks something like this:

if [ "$PS1" ]; then
# Disables the bloody CapsLock button
xmodmap -e "remove lock = Caps_Lock"
fi
found this somewhere and it works great. Will not work if you are using terminal services (the capslock key still works there)

kurisutofaa
May 5th, 2005, 07:53 PM
home button is also handy sometimes. for example, if you run a command in terminal, but forget to put sudo in the beginning of command, press "home" button and you are in the beginning of command. Then write sudo and press enter. I always forget to put sudo in beginning when it's needed.

Poul
May 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Nice howto
Although i knew most of them some of them are new to me. Those are really great tips .Kep up
I guess your always learning...

Edit:
Btw Almost forgot. I don't think i saw it in previous threads : CTRL+SHIFT+V - useful to paste something to console.

GexNZ
June 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM
xbindkeys is an excellent program to run commands with key combinations.
I run most shortcuts of the windows key. ie. To run firefox I press Win+B (for browser), Win+KeyPad 5 to start up beep media player, Win+KeyPad 6 to skip to the next track etc.

My xbindkeys config:
Mod4 = windows key
Mod1 = alt key
'beep-media-player' can be replaced with 'xmms' if you prefer.

# "command name"
# key combination

"firefox"
Mod4+B
"gnome-terminal"
Mod4+T
"nautilus"
Mod4+F
"xscreensaver-command -lock"
Mod4+L
"gnome-system-monitor"
Control+Mod1+Delete

# Beep Media Player
# Play
"beep-media-player -p"
Mod4+KP_5
# Stop
"beep-media-player -s"
Mod4+KP_Insert
# Previous
"beep-media-player -r"
Mod4+KP_Left
# Next
"beep-media-player -f"
Mod4+KP_Right
# Pause/Play
"beep-media-player -t"
Mod4+KP_Delete
# beep-media-player Find
"beepfind_remote"
Mod4+J

Karl S.
June 29th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Okay, totally ignorant here (i.e., be VERY clear when giving instructions).

How would I use xbindkeys or something else to be able to switch back and forth between keyboard layouts? An earlier user mentioned left alt + right alt switches between layouts, but only in one direction. Not good enough.

recover82
July 2nd, 2005, 11:38 PM
Want to minimize everything and show the desktop?? I use the "Windows Key + D" religiously when I'm in windows and now that I'm relying more and more on linux, i've found

"Ctrl + Alt + D"

use it. love it.

filemanager
July 12th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace used to restart Ubuntu, but now it makes my screen go black and takes me to a command line type thing. I'm not sure what I did. Does anyone know how to fix it?

filemanager
July 26th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Does anyone know what the key is to skip to the next chapter on a DVD in xine? The menu says the [Next] button does it, but... I'm not sure what that is. lol

heimo
July 26th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Does anyone know what the key is to skip to the next chapter on a DVD in xine? The menu says the [Next] button does it, but... I'm not sure what that is. lol

For me, Page Up and Page Down seem to move from chapter to chapter, same works in gxine.

rama
September 1st, 2005, 12:08 PM
Want to minimize everything and show the desktop?? I use the "Windows Key + D" religiously when I'm in windows ...
Don't you mean Windows Key + M?

Anyway is there a key combination to open the Gnome menu (like Ctrl + Esc opens the "Start" menu in Win)?

doclivingston
September 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM
Don't you mean Windows Key + M?

Win+M minimised everything, Win+D shows the desktop - the difference is that if you type the latter again, it should put all the windows back.

Anyway is there a key combination to open the Gnome menu (like Ctrl + Esc opens the "Start" menu in Win)?

You can change it, but by default it is Alt-F1 (Alt-F2 is run application)

mcduck
September 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
nice tip:
System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts ->Window Management -> Toggle Fullscreen mode, put it to Alt + Enter (my opinion)
then
for any program
alt + enter = full screen
Many thanks for this! I've been desperately trying to get snes9x to show games in real fullscreen, nothing has worked. But this did the trick :D

Playing those games from TV, with two DualShocks naturally, really suffered from wrong aspect ratio and gnome panels on top and bottom of the screen.