PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 16.04 slow, why???

jaxom98
September 7th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Uefi mobo 128Gb ssd data drive 2Tb 4Gb ram
dual booted win7 / ubuntu 16.04
Old OS was ubuntu14.04 and booted up relatively quickly(40 seconds).
Upgraded 14.04 to 16.04, - slooow bootup. Is approximatly 80 seconds to boot. Win 7 boots up in 60 seconds.

2nd computer,
bios mobo 500Gb hdd 4Gb ram
clean install of 16.04 and got the same slooow boot times. Why is 16.04 a slow OS to boot up from upgrade and clean install?

Note this machine was running 14.04 with similar boot times as the above computer.

BenginM
September 8th, 2017, 07:31 AM
1st, Make sure the UUID for the SS/HD disk in /etc/fstab match the UUID entire of sudo blkid.
2nd, you may want to adjust the disk cache ..

3rd, You can find out which service takes how much time to finish starting up by entering the following command in terminal:
$ systemd-analyze blame

## You may also wish to see a graphical detailed view of your system boot procedure. you can generate a plot bootshart image. in a terminal run: $ systemd-analyze plot > bootchart.svg
the .svg file will be saved in your home directory and you can view it with an image viewer.

So disable services that you don't use at all, and apps you don't need at start up.

My current system with a HDD flyin' Xubuntu 17.10 boots at ..

sary@tru-uli63:~$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 6.395s (kernel) + 41.314s (userspace) = 47.710s

jaxom98
September 10th, 2017, 01:19 AM
Excuse the delay in reply, work got in the way.
#1 and #2 how do I find them?
#3 In terminal, Any command with "systemd-analyse"in it comes up "$ command not found" ??? what is going on.
I still don't know what is running or how to find and shutdown unused services and apps

New data, discovered via disk usage analyser that new data is being dumped in the sshd and has filled that drive to 100 Gb of 128Gb. All data should be going to the data drive.
How do I reset data to go to data drive?
How do I transfer data on OS drive(sshd) to data drive?

ian-weisser
September 10th, 2017, 02:34 AM
#3 In terminal, Any command with "systemd-analyse"in it comes up "$ command not found" ??? what is going on.

You seem to have misspelled it. See the correct spelling above and try again.

Geoffrey_Arndt
September 10th, 2017, 03:42 AM
What data are you referring to? You can just cut/paste data from one location to the other of your choice using the files (aka Nautilus) manager.

Each program that generates data usually has default save options or properties that can be adjusted.

Re finding out what's running, you can run "htop" from the terminal or just open the "System Monitor" gui program.:

NOTE Just don't PANIC. You can goto YouTube to search for tutorials on all your Linux questions. Then use a simple program like "CherryTree" to create your notes or knowledge base.

jaxom98
September 12th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Below is the output from the "systemd-analyze blame" command.
How do I decide which are essential and which are not and can be turned off or set for delayed start up?

7.636s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
5.284s udev-configure-printer@-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:12.2-usb1-1\
991ms apt-daily.service
970ms dev-sda5.device
653ms udisks2.service
545ms apt-daily-upgrade.service
528ms epoptes.service
333ms apparmor.service
210ms ModemManager.service
192ms accounts-daemon.service
181ms upower.service
166ms systemd-logind.service
143ms keyboard-setup.service
129ms grub-common.service
128ms networking.service
127ms console-setup.service
110ms apport.service
110ms irqbalance.service
106ms ondemand.service
105ms systemd-journald.service
104ms systemd-modules-load.service
98ms speech-dispatcher.service
92ms NetworkManager.service
lines 1-23
Also in my meddling I have some how changed the startup screen. There is now what looks like a list of all the processes starting up ( about 11/2 - 2 screens worth) with a time, 1min 30seconds, and a timer counting up to the 1min 30secondmark.
This post was logged last night but did not go through so I reposted tonight.

ian-weisser
September 12th, 2017, 07:46 PM
I'm not seeing anything out-of-line there.
Systemd already delays unnecessary services and prioritizes critical-path services.

HankB
September 14th, 2017, 03:19 AM
>>>> ... with a time, 1min 30seconds, and a timer counting up to the 1min 30secondmark.

Can you tell us what else is on that line? I believe that is systemd counting down something it is waiting for (that is not happening.) After 90 seconds it gives up and completes booting.

I have seen something similar when I had done something that caused drive UUID or device name to change and that caused systemd to delay/timeout on boot.

jaxom98
September 18th, 2017, 09:53 PM
The problem was eventually tracked down to systemd trying to find a nonexistant swap partition on the sdb drive.( sdb is data only. sda contains the OS's and partitions.)
The instruction was cancelled/ stopped. This restored the ubuntu OS to it's textbook speedy boot times.
This was done for me by a third party ,so I can't say what procedure was used.
To the posters who tried to help, thank you. This is the first time I tried to tackle a boot problem.