PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Website Hosting: LAMP or web hosting service

primeirocrime
April 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
hello ubuntu universe

I want to make a web site for my theater company. But I have some doubts that maybe could be clarified here. I want the web site to be something that I can change constantly, uploading pictures, illustrations, text, video and music. So I will be using some bit of storage. At least more than 200mb. So, my questions are:
What is cheaper: A LAMP [ubuntu based, why not? or why???something else??]
or pay for the web hosting in a outside company.?

I want to run blogs there as well for member of the group. And I know there are nice tools FOSS for that. Well everything would be built on FOSS.

I have a ISP here that offer good deals in matters of bandwith, but the web hosting the deals only seem to be good for corporations or SME. That is to be able to make money out of it, but a theater company like mine is more in the NGO and Non-profit department. So what to do? We will get a domain name but after that I still have a lot of doubts in what is the path to go. I know this is maybe a bit to generic for ubuntuforums, but people here do seem to care. Please help enlighten this head of mine.
What is Oracle for this matters? Please be kind to point me in that direction.

Cheers and good wine for the people.

az
April 3rd, 2005, 10:31 PM
You need a content management system.

cmsmatrix.org

I tend toward Drupal (drupal.org)

You can get hosting for ten bucks per month with unlimited bandwith and 250 Megs of space. There may be better deals out there.

You can pay a few dollars in electricity per moth running your own webserver in your basement. Make sure your isp does not block ports. You can use dyndns and avoid paying for a static IP address. Make sure mail is not a problem either (You can use your ISP web account as a smarthost...)

primeirocrime
April 23rd, 2005, 02:14 AM
hey

Forgot this post alltogether. Thank you for your help. I went for a web hosting where I pay only 50€ per year and I'm pleased with it. Still I'll will try a LAMP to learn some stuff.