PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Webcam not working with Skype or Viber but other aps OK

shag00
August 31st, 2017, 12:16 PM
I am using a Logitech webcam (model unknown) with ubuntu 17.04. Both skype and Viber were downloaded today from their respective sites (so latest versions). Did the check with cheese and everything works fine, also checked another non messaging app and the webcam works there too. In relation to Viber and Skype both have identical problems: both can make and receive calls with perfect audio and accept and display the incoming video, however the video is not picked up from the camera (either the little box which appears on my screen or on the other PC). There are no error messages displayed.

I have not installed any other software other than these 2 apps.

In Skype the camera select has a very similar address to the microphone (it is 1 "x" less than the microphone), so it can see the camera is installed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the messaging apps without success and performed a number of hot-plugging scenarios also without success.

ajgreeny
August 31st, 2017, 04:41 PM
Presumably you have set the Skype application to use video in "Settings" -> Privacy?

Have you tried the web version of Skype to see if it is the same in that?

shag00
September 1st, 2017, 03:29 AM
Went to reinstall skype and the latest version is skype beta and it works as soon as installed.

ajgreeny
September 1st, 2017, 11:47 AM
If you were trying to use the 4.3 desktop version originally it stopped working in July at some point, so it is not surprising that you had this problem.

The new version 5.4.0.1 is not completely without its faults, and sometimes will simply not connect, but when it does, it is great.
Don't forget there are other VOIP applications available using SIP which will work at least as well as Skype, but your friends and family will also need to install an alternative to Skype and that is where the whole possibility unfortunately tends to fall apart.