PDA

View Full Version : Removing W8 and installing 16.04 Acer E1-522 easy.....SOLVED

Timmoore001
August 31st, 2017, 09:30 AM
I was asked to put Linux on a laptop so I looked at it and wondered how to go about this task...... Now I know that installing Ubuntu 16.04.1 64 bit installs on top of Windows 7 is straightforward. Just set the bios to boot from the DVD drive as first Boot choice, so I wondered how easy it would be.

The DVD drive would on open ... so I used a small paper clip to supply a thin bit of stiff wire to activate the DVD draw to opening mechanism ( a very small hole on the unseside curve of the DVD tray..then I put any old bootable disc in.. and powered it up.

This confused what passes for Bios to dispay itself, enough for me to be able to select the 'Boot' section and to change the first Boot option to be the DVD Drive. and to save that as a permanent option.. i replaced that with a installation DVD for Ubuntu 16.04.1 and rebboted the Laptop and Lo... to my mild surprise it had yielded without much of a fight ! I managed to install the OS across the entire Disc so Goodbye to W8 !!!

One tip is that part of the first stage is that it asks you to read some notes... I did not do that.... I think it would ask to Maintain Bios rather that the latest Eula? Master Boot Record wihich W10 likes so much). [Eula ? allows 3TG and above partitions so it does have advantages but Acer E1-522 owners may not have a pressing need for that... The Spec of tthis laptop is:-

Manufacture date was 2013 e.g 4 years old.

3.3GB Ram
Disk free space 488.5Gb
Orginal OS Windows 8.

Nicely built The user Manual goes to about 94 pages but doesn't seem to match up well with the Laptop. F2 was supposed to bring the Bios up but It didn't.... It has a Fn key but not sure how to use that.. it didn't do anything for me. )

My conclusion was that its a low cost way of getting a useable laptop for a modest price and ridding the planet of another Windows installation..

If you must have a Windows box W7 master discs cost £1.78 on Ebay in the form:- " Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Re-Install Restore Repair Boot Disc Recovery DVD " A key is about the same.

If anyone has a problem with installing 16.04 on one of these laptops, please post herre and/or send me a message.

: ))

Tim