PDA

View Full Version : Free as in beer?

forrestcupp
August 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Why do they all say "free as in beer?" Beer is expensive.

OffHand
August 15th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Not if it's free :shock:

Imagine Ubuntu is a pub... we are the visitors and Mark Shuttleworth is paying for the beer :D It might be expensive but you don't have to pay the bill ;)

aysiu
August 15th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Because they mean free as in cost instead of free as in freedom.

23meg
August 15th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Why do they all say "free as in beer?" Beer is expensive.They don't say that, they say "free as in free beer". It could just as well be "free as in free tomatoes".

Actually, they do, but it'a a deviation from the original. A bad one if you ask me.

kebes
August 15th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Like aysiu said, the point is to differentiate between freedom (doesn't cost money) and Freedom (provides liberty, choice, etc.).

So sometimes people say "it is free as in 'free beer'" which means that it doesn't cost money (although it may or may not provide you with Freedom). Other times people will say "it is free as in 'free speech'" which means that it provides ideological freedom (although it may or may not cost money).

Linux (and Ubuntu) is both 'free' and 'Free': it costs no money, and it provides you with all the choice and liberty you need. Some people care more about the 'free beer' part (don't want to pay alot of money for software) and some people care more about the 'Free speech' part (they want to be able to analyze and modify the software they use). Most of us like both aspects!

Dragonbite
August 15th, 2006, 08:43 PM
It may not be free, but if you brew your own it gets to between USD $0.75~1.50 per (non-refunded) 12oz bottle and that's with added flavors and your choice of how dark! :) Of course this is after the initial kit purchase which comes to a one-time cost of USD $50 +/- ?)

forrestcupp
August 15th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I know what it means; I just don't know why they say it. I've seen "free as in beer" a lot more than I've seen people say "free as in free beer." That makes more sense.

aysiu
August 15th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I know what it means; I just don't know why they say it. I've seen "free as in beer" a lot more than I've seen people say "free as in free beer." That makes more sense.
People are too lazy to type free twice in the same sentence.

G Morgan
August 15th, 2006, 09:40 PM
In the end it will be reduced to simply 'beer'. Then we will all be drunk and happy. ;)

Ubuntu is 'beer'.

aysiu
August 15th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Forget the "Ubuntu is."

Just say "beer."

YourSurrogateGod
August 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Forget the "Ubuntu is."

Just say "beer."

Wise words.