PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy and Linux

twostops
August 26th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Hi all hopefully this is the right place for this but here goes. After biting the bullet and switching to Ubuntu as a Newbie does anyone have experience of setting up telescope and camera equipment on Linux.

peter d
August 26th, 2017, 11:01 PM
I don't know anything from personal experience but this might be a place to start.

Astronomy (http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Astronomy-HOWTO/index.html)

twostops
August 27th, 2017, 10:16 PM
thank you for the link Peter I will check it out

mastablasta
August 28th, 2017, 02:00 PM
if the camera is compatible with linux (drivers etc.) then it shouldn't be a problem. as i know the have special cameras that go into telecope or at least ins ome way mount on them. there is plenty of applications.

let us know how it went. i am also interested to know if this is actually an option.

twostops
August 28th, 2017, 09:16 PM
if the camera is compatible with linux (drivers etc.) then it shouldn't be a problem. as i know the have special cameras that go into telecope or at least ins ome way mount on them. there is plenty of applications.

let us know how it went. i am also interested to know if this is actually an option.

thank you that, I have Nikon Camera which I connect directly to the telescope, I am sure I can get an application that configures Nikon cameras. I was thinking about getting usb ccd camera and also trying to control the Goto mount via the laptop. I will do a search for applications.