PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing on old machine

guzziguy
August 23rd, 2017, 11:01 PM
I have been collecting old machines to reconvert to Linux (Fedora, Knoppix and Ubuntu for 15 years) I install Linux and and give them to folks who can't afford to buy even the cheap used stuff to help them prepare for a better job. I have converted 100 or so. Recently, however, I have been getting 10 year old machines ( an HP and an Emachine currently), that won't allow me to install the Ubuntu 14 or 16. I tried an old version of Knoppix but it failed also. The Emachine has only 256 m of RAM so I need to try to dig up an additional or bigger stick. But I can't figure out how to get it to begin the install. Switched BIOS to CD as first boot, USB as second but it hangs up on "press any key to boot from CD" nothing happens and thenit boots to WIN XP. Flash drive just blinks a bit and does nothing or stay lit but no action.

QIII
August 23rd, 2017, 11:04 PM
Moved to its own thread from ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2361692.

sp40140
August 24th, 2017, 03:19 AM
What is your install media? CD/DVD or flash drive?

sudodus
August 24th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums, guzziguy :-)

256 MB RAM is really not enough for a full size linux distro. You might succeed with a Lubuntu alternate iso file (32-bit). You could also try with Puppy Linux or Tiny Core.

See this link with a lot of tips for old hardware.

Old hardware brought back to life (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130640)

oldos2er
August 24th, 2017, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't attempt to run desktop Ubuntu on anything less than 1GB RAM, and even then it's going to struggle. Lubuntu will be slightly better.