PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard Not Working After Upgrade

rocklock-t
August 22nd, 2017, 02:47 AM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 that I dual-boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 16.04. Today I updated to 17.04 and my keyboard stopped working. Never a problem with 16.04. This is a real pain as I can't type in my password to do anything. Help!

ajgreeny
August 22nd, 2017, 11:04 AM
Can you try a live Ubuntu 17.04, downloaded in Windows if necessary, to see if the keyboard will work using that.
If it works OK, the update to 17.04 may have corrupted your OS in some way, if not, then it would seem likely that it is a hardware incompatibility problem.

Autodave
August 22nd, 2017, 01:21 PM
Doubt that this will help, but I have fixed many laptops this way:

1. Power down and disconnect power cord.
2. Unplug all peripherals.
3. Remove battery.
4. Wait 10 minutes.
5. Reinstall battery.
6. Connect power cord.
7. Boot computer and test to see if condition is gone.
8. If good so far, now you can reconnect peripherals.

rocklock-t
August 22nd, 2017, 10:39 PM
It worked fine with the live DVD. Any suggestions as to where I go from here?

rocklock-t
August 22nd, 2017, 10:40 PM
No joy.

Autodave
August 22nd, 2017, 11:10 PM
Hopefully, someone will have a better answer for you. But, you may have to reinstall 16.04 or do a complete install of 17.04. I personally have had no luck upgrading to a newer release. Some people here have never had a problem.

Every 2 years, a long term service release is made. These LTSs have a service life of 5 years: security and software updates are available for 5 years after the release. The last LTS was 16.04. 16 stands for the year of the release, 04 stands for the month (April). The next LTS will be 18.04. Releases in the interim will be 6 month releases and only supported until the next release.

I stick with only the LTSs and even then I usually wait a month after their release before installing them. Further, I do not upgrade to them but completely install the new release after copying all files that I need to save to an external HD.

rocklock-t
August 23rd, 2017, 04:20 PM
I did an erase/reinstall with the live disk and everything seems hunky-dory now, Thanks for the help.