PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] UEFI/EFI Ubuntu Install can't find my other hard drives

maxcr1
August 19th, 2017, 10:53 PM
When I go to install my UEFI Ubuntu Install USB alongside Windows 10 on my UFEI locked computer, I run the install and get the "not enough space" error, which is spawned from the USB install not being able to find the other hard drives on my computer.

To make my UEFI Ubuntu Install, I formatted the USB stick to Fat32, and then installed the ISO using Rufus.

Other Information:
All SSDs and other drives are on UEFI.
Computer is UEFI Locked (Meaning BIOS prevents me from changing Boot Mode)

Things I've tried:
Other USB Sticks
Other versions of Ubuntu
Making a FAT32 Partition on my SSD (to see if it could find that)

Am I doing something wrong?
Any help is appreciated.

oldfred
August 19th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Microsoft requires vendors to let users unlock or turn off UEFI Secure Boot. Only a few small netbook type systems that were UEFI 32 bit were locked to Windows only.
Some require you to add a supervisory password in UEFI to unlock other features.

What brand/model system? And what video card/chip?

UEFI installs in multiple drive systems need to be done using something Else. And best to partition in advance with gpt and include an ESP for UEFI boot. And perhaps a bios_grub for BIOS boot. I add both to all new drives & larger flash drives.

Grub only installs to an ESP - efi system partition on drive seen as sda. Best to also have drives installed in SATA port order SATA0, SATA1, etc with no skips of a port or DVD in between actual drives.

Post this:
sudo parted -l

And review link in my signature. And:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/913716/dual-boot-on-seperate-drives-best-configuration

maxcr1
August 20th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Microsoft requires vendors to let users unlock or turn off UEFI Secure Boot. Only a few small netbook type systems that were UEFI 32 bit were locked to Windows only.
Some require you to add a supervisory password in UEFI to unlock other features.

What brand/model system? And what video card/chip?

UEFI installs in multiple drive systems need to be done using something Else. And best to partition in advance with gpt and include an ESP for UEFI boot. And perhaps a bios_grub for BIOS boot. I add both to all new drives & larger flash drives.

Grub only installs to an ESP - efi system partition on drive seen as sda. Best to also have drives installed in SATA port order SATA0, SATA1, etc with no skips of a port or DVD in between actual drives.

Post this:
sudo parted -l

And review link in my signature. And:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/913716/dual-boot-on-seperate-drives-best-configuration

Very sorry for not mentioning this in my original post; I have a Lenovo Flex 5, a laptop locked on UEFI. The Ubuntu install can only see the USB drive that the ISO is mounted on, and cannot see the other drives on my computer. I've installed Ubuntu before on other computers, and never seen this issue. Here is a pasted parted -l.

Model: Sony Storage Media (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2006MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 2006MB 2005MB primary fat32 boot, lba

edit: grammar. Sorry :)

maxcr1
August 20th, 2017, 06:47 AM
I have fixed the issue by updating my BIOS, which added the option to switch to AHCI.

kurt18947
August 20th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Article that talks about Secure Boot, UEFI & Microsoft/Windows:

https://www.howtogeek.com/116569/htg-explains-how-windows-8s-secure-boot-feature-works-what-it-means-for-linux/

Relevant part:
For Windows 8 PCs, manufacturers had to give you a way to turn Secure Boot off. Microsoft required PC manufacturers to put a Secure Boot kill switch in users’ hands.

For Windows 10 PCs, this is no longer mandatory. PC manufacturers can choose to enable Secure Boot and not give users a way to turn it off. However, we’re not actually aware of any PC manufacturers that do this.
Similarly, while PC manufacturers have to include Microsoft’s main “Microsoft Windows Production PCA” key so Windows can boot, they don’t have to include the “Microsoft Corporation UEFI CA” key. This second key is only recommended. It’s the second, optional key that Microsoft uses to sign Linux boot loaders. Ubuntu’s documentation (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/SecureBoot) explains this.
In other words, not all PCs will necessarily boot signed Linux distributions with Secure Boot turned on. Again, in practice, we haven’t seen any PCs that did this. Perhaps no PC manufacturer wants to make the only line of laptops you can’t install Linux on.
For now, at least, mainstream Windows PCs should allow you to disable Secure Boot if you like, and they should boot Linux distributions that have been signed by Microsoft even if you don’t disable Secure Boot.

Another potential hurdle to have to jump over?