PDA

View Full Version : [Help] Uninstalling Ubuntu to reinstall Win

chrischrischris2
August 18th, 2017, 12:09 AM
Some time ago i had no copy of windows on hand and installed Ubuntu onto the Family computer. I Now wanted to reinstall win, but after i formatted the harddrive and booted via usb, i could not install the OS onto that drive. It didnt say why or how to fix this.
I have found nothing about that specific problem online, but many different problems.

Since i have a second PC (Win 10) on hand, can i just put the drive into this pc and somehow completely wipe it, or do i need to do something else?

I am not very good with computer and trying to find a solution, i found many different threads on other sites, that suggest different programs or command prompts, but none had a clean answer to it.

Frogs Hair
August 18th, 2017, 01:00 AM
I Now wanted to reinstall win, but after i formatted the harddrive and booted via usb, i could not install the OS onto that drive. It didnt say why or how to fix this Did you select the recommended NTFS format type for Windows ?

chrischrischris2
August 20th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Because i hate when i find unanswered question in google.

The problem was more or less my fault. I had troubles getting my USB with Win 7 to boot, so i set it in Bios to the highest Boot priority, but did not re-add the Hard-drive to a lower one.
For some stupid reason windows does not allow you to install the OS to a Drive that is not YET set as boot drive.

I also had the Problem with the NTFS Format, that was not a NTFS Format?? I plugged the Drive into another Computer and it said it was all NTFS. But in the OS install i could not format it correctly. Maybe my fault but it finally worked after i created a partition on the other PC.