PDA

View Full Version : Laptop powers off when trying to install lubuntu

dendixon
August 16th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Every time I try to install both lubuntu 14.04 and 17.04 from a CD (with an iso file) the laptop turns off all by itself and restarts, pretty much at the same place every time.
I just bought the laptop (thinkpad t410) so I'm not sure if the computer is the problem. I have another thinkpad t410 which runs just fine.

I can run the computer fine from the CD (the "test lubuntu without installing" option). I even downloaded the iso file for lubuntu 17.04 on to the hard drive while in this mode. Possibly there's a way to install from that iso file?

Any ideas?

yancek
August 17th, 2017, 03:43 AM
You can install from the iso file on the hard drive IF you currently have a system with Grub2 installed. Explained with examples of how to do it at the link below. You don't indicate what OS you currently have installed, if any?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot

dendixon
August 17th, 2017, 04:39 PM
I just purchased the refurbished laptop and it was sold "without operating system". When I first turned it on only the BIOS came up, so I don't know what that means.

Is there a way to install Grub2 on the laptop? Thanks.

dendixon
August 19th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Update: Using the liveCD I did the "test memory" and it locks up almost immediately. Upon researching on the
internet it appears that the thinkpad t410 is only supposed to accomodate 8 GB of memory.

I had just purchased this thinkpad t410 (from PCLiquidations) which comes "without an operating system" and I
requested an upgrade to 16 GB of memory. Apparently this was a mistake.

So I'm guessing this is why my computer powers off when I try to install lubuntu. The question is, what should i
do now? Is it possible to take one of the 8GB memory chips out and have it run on one 8GB chips? Or should I just
buy 2 new 4 GB chips and put them in instead?

1fallen
August 19th, 2017, 07:36 PM
It will work with just the one 8 gig stick.
But i suggest to buy 2 matching 4 gig sticks for a better experience over time.

dendixon
August 20th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Thank you for the information. I will try using only one 8 GB RAM. Which one should I take out, the one under the keyboard or the one in the back?